English pedantry

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gmonag

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Other
Number of Hives
6 Rose Hives
Most manipulations that we use are named after the inventor, e.g. Demaree, Snelgrove, Bailey etc. So when I was taught about the Shook Swarm I assumed it was first described by a German beekeeper, Herr Schuck or similar. I was suprised when I first saw it written down, because the tense is incorrect.

Surely it shoud be a Shaken Swarm. How can this be and how has it persisted?

In our language it is shaking swarm = ravistusparvi.

Super in our language is honey box.

Brood is brood box.

Last edited:
Most manipulations that we use are named after the inventor, e.g. Demaree, Snelgrove, Bailey etc. So when I was taught about the Shook Swarm I assumed it was first described by a German beekeeper, Herr Schuck or similar. I was suprised when I first saw it written down, because the tense is incorrect.

Probably the reason it hasn't got a 'proper' name is the 'inventor' is too ashamed to put their name to such a B'stard of a manipulation.

It was invented by Richmal Crompton

How can this be and how has it persisted?

Like so many other things in beekeeping: people learn something as beginners and repeat it parrot fashion for the rest of their beekeeping career without ever thinking about what they're doing or why they're doing it.

Peasant pedantry.....:winner1st:

When I first saw the title I thought
'Didn't realise that prince Andrew was a beekeeper'
Such are the subtle nuances of the English language.

Ewe need to go to Specsavers, it didn't say "parasitic paedophilia of our lords and masters" at all.