English honey?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here are their standards for "organic" beekeeping. Seems unless you own all the land within a 3km radius and can vouch for what's gone on the land, it might be a bit difficult to produce true organic honey.

JMB knows that... he was just joshing... after choking on those fish bones:icon_204-2:

Nos da

They you go.;)

IMG_2703_zpsfurj7eow.jpg

Love your nail varnish, Millet!:D:)

What I found amusing was that you can use all manner of "chemicals" for pest control. I think about the only one missing was amitraz. But of course that's "man made".....

Here are their standards for "organic" beekeeping. Seems unless you own all the land within a 3km radius and can vouch for what's gone on the land, it might be a bit difficult to produce true organic honey.

Thanks for that Gary.

So I was right then - bullshine. 3km radius foraging range for bees? (what do they do? enclose the entire area in netting - or tie 3km long strings to one of their legs and the other to the hive?) the use of pyrethroids in traps (which they allow) makes it non organic to me. but it's OK as long as you only use AMM, feed them on organic sugar, use organic foundation (but only if you feel like it) and don't clip the queens you can call your honey organic.
I've a feeling that these 'rules' were written by someone who wanted desperately to sell their honey at the premium 'orgasmic' rate. :D

Last edited:
Thanks for that Gary.

So I was right then - bullshine. 3km radius foraging range for bees? (what do they do? enclose the entire area in netting - or tie 3km on strings to one of their legs and the other to the hive?) the use of pyrethroids in traps (which they allow) makes it non organic to me. but it's OK as long as you only use AMM, feed them on organic sugar, use organic foundation (but only if you feel like it) and don't clip the queens you can call your honey organic.
I've a feeling that these 'rules' were written by someone who wanted desperately to sell their honey at the premium 'orgasmic' rate. :D

AND do not forget that the Soil Association... do not allow AI* !:hairpull:

(* II for the pedants!)

Nos da

on a totaly different note.
Is it more typical to sell honey in 340g jars and not 1/2 (226g) lb or 1lb (453g) jars?

on a totaly different note.
Is it more typical to sell honey in 340g jars and not 1/2 (226g) lb or 1lb (453g) jars?

in general 12oz jars seem to be the 'in' size now. at one retailer I supply it's outstripping sales from a competitor who sells 1lb jars 50p cheaper than mine - both are side by side on the shelf.

in general 12oz jars seem to be the 'in' size now. at one retailer I supply it's outstripping sales from a competitor who sells 1lb jars 50p cheaper than mine - both are side by side on the shelf.

I do not really do much shopping, but when i ever dare venture into that forbidden relm of the other half, thee is yet to see a 1lb Jar of EU organic honey or any other type , even in the sticks as well big supermarkets the only honey i see is in 12oz or less sized jars, for around the 3 quid mark.

I only fill 1lb jars for honey shows. I fill 3.5lb pails for one customer abd also use some 1/4 and 1/2lb jars but my mainstay is the 12oz/3/4lb jar.
When I first had a surplus to share, I brought some 1lb jars into work and a number of colleagues commetned that a 1lb jar was too big, that they would never use that much honey. Inspired by a visit to a packaging company and posts on this forum, I started to use 12oz jars. The same people who thought the 1lb jar was too big will frequently buy 2 or 3 12oz jars from me at once. A lot of other local beekeepers have followed suit and now use 12oz jar size.
I think the Ulster Bee Keeper's association have acknowledged the proliferation of 12oz jars and have created honey show classes for this size.

I think the Ulster Bee Keeper's association have acknowledged the proliferation of 12oz jars and have created honey show classes for this size.

I think all shows now allow any size jar in the 'commercial' classes, 1lb jars are only the norm when it's just the contents being judged.

the only honey i see is in 12oz or less sized jars, for around the 3 quid mark.

On sale in Lidl today, 340g clear honey for 89p a jar, but at least clearly labelled as produce of EU and non-EU. Makes me even fonder of my lovely regular customers who come to the door to buy two 1lb jars at a time and cheerfully pay £5.25 each, saying how yummy it is.

Only ever had one complaint from a guy who's jar I sold him 2 years ago crystallised, he thought the crystals came from the sugar I added lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back