Emptying honey out of extractor

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 3509

House Bee
Reaction score
My question is very simple and I apologize if it has been covered before - how do you get the last little bit of honey out of the extractor? We have tried tipping the extractor so that the honey runs to the valve but as it is an electric stainless steel one it is quite heavy. Is there an easier way?

Not that I know of. I put a block of wood under the back legs and the use a plastic spatula to scrape as much as possible out of the tap.

Just wish I had some honey to extract.:(

My question is very simple and I apologize if it has been covered before - how do you get the last little bit of honey out of the extractor? We have tried tipping the extractor so that the honey runs to the valve but as it is an electric stainless steel one it is quite heavy. Is there an easier way?

We use a spatula to scrape honey off the sides and floor of the extractor, whilst it is tipped up, and scrape push it to the tap. Once we have done that we just accept we have got all we can from that extraction and clean it out.

If you cant tip it up at all then scraping up honey and depositing into the bucket/sieve is about the best I can suggest, but others may have some clever technique or contraption to gather every last ounce of honey.

We also use a big stainless steel 9 frame extractor - silly question but have you tried removing the frame cage/spinner before tipping up? It is a lot lighter when you do :)

Tip it up and warm the room as much as possible and put a fan heater under the extractor and leave all night. Obviously (or maybe not) the hot air from the blower is aimed at the underside of the extractor to warm it as much as possible.

After scraping with a firm spatula then close the gate and using COLD water start to wash it out. Save this water as it can be used if you want for the start of a must for mead. If not give to a friend or dump.

There is obviously a limit as to how much you waste in the extractor.

PH

Depending on the extractor size, tip the whole thing upside down on a steep slope and let it run into a container.

warm room, plastic (tupperware) spatula, cold water to wash out. (8frame radial)

I go somewhat further than a simple block of wood under the leg.

I lean it much further, with an even larger block (actually same cuboid block, but stood on it's side). The extractor is stabilised by hanging counterweights to the rear leg. You do need it warm, though, or the honey will not flow too quickly, and not at all while there is still quite a bit remaining on the tub walls.

Yep Large amounts of packing under the back leg to the point of nearly toppling over and lay on the floor and open your mouth. It is unhygienic to put you mouth around the honey gate and suck :drool5:

Yep Large amounts of packing under the back leg to the point of nearly toppling over and lay on the floor and open your mouth. It is unhygienic to put you mouth around the honey gate and suck :drool5:

:rofl:

I find the best way is to send in a few umpa lumpa's with buckets and spades.

Is there a reason that none of the manufacturers make an extractor with the tap in the bottom with an incline to it ?

Tip it up and warm the room as much as possible and put a fan heater under the extractor and leave all night. Obviously (or maybe not) the hot air from the blower is aimed at the underside of the extractor to warm it as much as possible.

After scraping with a firm spatula then close the gate and using COLD water start to wash it out. Save this water as it can be used if you want for the start of a must for mead. If not give to a friend or dump.

There is obviously a limit as to how much you waste in the extractor.

PH

Don't dump it - spray on the bees to calm them when inspecting? As good as smoking. Warm it a bit first though. Best spatula for me is a longish bladed floppy plastic double ended one that Lake..land sell. Gets in all the bends and corners too.

Last edited:
Is there a reason that none of the manufacturers make an extractor with the tap in the bottom with an incline to it ?

Storage? Difficult shape to fabricate? Anything such as pieces of wax from a blown frame would get carried down and block the outlet? Height for a sensible discharge point? Cost?

Just a few. There are likely more.

Don't dump it - spray on the bees to calm them when inspecting?

And we keep telling new beeks to be very careful if feeding back honey and her we have someone advocating spraying all the bees with a mixture of all the honey? Not an potion I would be adopting, thank you very much!

Don't dump it - spray on the bees to calm them when inspecting?

And we keep telling new beeks to be very careful if feeding back honey and her we have someone advocating spraying all the bees with a mixture of all the honey? Not an potion I would be adopting, thank you very much!

:iagree:
Quite often the dregs in the extractor will be a mixture of honey from a number of hives, multiplying the risk of disease transmission, using it in a must for mead is a much better idea IMO.

Can a soup ladel or deep spoon reach into the space? Turkey baster? Small child?
(Although a serious argument can be made for the mead...)

I would add ensure the extactor is warm before you use it. I have stood a small oil filled convector heater ender the extractor before and it works well.

Latest posts

Back