Emerging queens in airing cupboards?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gower

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Hi

i'm sure i've read somewhere that its possible to take a sealed QC and place it in a matchbox or small jar, kept warm in an airing cupboard or similar, and then the Q may hatch successfully - is this the case? provided its kept warm and suspended or wrapped in a vertical position, is there any reason why this shouldnt work?

many thanks

It can work.

However a "proper" incubator has several other conditions that make the expense justified if you are rearing quantities.

Humidity is the biggie here.

Can I suggest that you adapt a frame and some cages and use the top super of a strong colony as your incubator and the bees will do a great job for you.

I will post some pics shortly to assist, the cages cost but some time and a bit of plastic excluder and mesh as you will see. The frame is standard with a couple bits of wood pinned and glued, none of which takes much ability.

PH

Think incubator.

Might depend on other factors, like temperature, state of queen cell development, humidity.

Eight minutes to emergence - works every time? Eight days to emergence - ?

many thanks for the tips. i'll look forward to the pics PH and shall have a go at putting my meagre DIY skills to the test!

It can work.

However a "proper" incubator has several other conditions that make the expense justified if you are rearing quantities.

Humidity is the biggie here.

Could I enquire, just out of curiosity, what sort of range of humidity is going to be tolerable?
Temperature, low 30's presumably expected? But what sort of range might be acceptable?

/ I believe the bees are pretty damn good at these controls, but have no idea what variance might be tolerable.

Off the top of my head I seem to remember the incubator at Craibstone was set at 80% ish.

Ok I couldn't find my usual one so made one up, time took 3 mins. Make up Manley frame. Wedge in spare wedge bar and voilla.

PH

thank you very much PH. I'll have a crack at something like that hopefully this weekend!

The "Top Hat" is 15mm dowel pinned and glued to 20mm dowel. I graft into home made wax cups and the top hats avoid handling issues as I transfer from starter colony to finishing colony to incubator colony to mating unit.

PH

latest research shows bees are incredilby senstive to incubation temperature. The bees may hatch but their life span is very much shortened and there ability to withstand other stresses is very much reduced. The temperature range only had to move 3C to cause this. If you are interested i will dig out the reference

HM - i've read that hair rollers can be used to secure closed QCs. could these be utilised in the trype of frame you've illustrated or should something more robust be used like the cage you've shown?

really simple - read PH's thread on queen rearing. rounded dowel (soaked), molten cappings wax, 4 dips, twist off, your done! only takes a few mins to knock out 50 if you have a few dowels.

Steady on now.... who reads on here...??????????????????????????

I feel ever so lonely at times as the sole reader.

PH

sorry to disturb your pleasant isolation PH!!!!

Avid reader myself - often copy many threads to pdf for digestion when time to waste travelling.

and of course loved the queen rearing simplified post so much i not only read it but translated it too!!!!

PH

There are certain contributors on here that i value what they have to say.....PH you are one of them.

PH

I have read every post and thread since Christmas, I feel as if I know all of you like my mates

Latest posts

Back