Emerged brood along foundation wire lines?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

malawi2854

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
On inspecting my hive today, I was pleased to see the first signs that brood has been emerging from my recently swarmed (and therefore requeened) hive.

But I did notice on 2 frames that in a perfect line following the foundation wire, the cells were empty, and had new eggs in them.

I wondered if this was because the metal of the wire got warmer, so increased the speed of the emergence of the workers? Or some other reason?

Just interested really, as it looked so odd! I took a picture, but have gone and left my camera at my parents house, so won't be able to upload a picture immediately...will do when I get it back though!

Any ideas?

On inspecting my hive today, I was pleased to see the first signs that brood has been emerging from my recently swarmed (and therefore requeened) hive.

But I did notice on 2 frames that in a perfect line following the foundation wire, the cells were empty, and had new eggs in them.

Any ideas?

QUITE NORMAL ,so first dont worry

why, i was told it was due to magnetic changes were the wire was, but, no idea if true

It is more likely those cells had no larvae in them. I am wondering if there is a shortage of laying space?

Regards, RAB

Quite common on new frames and foundation.

The wire is not always set in the centre of the wax and is exposed and as a result the bees see the cell as not perfect and the queen will not lay in them. The bees however work on the cell and cover the wire and then the queen can lay in it as you have noticed.

It is more likely those cells had no larvae in them. I am wondering if there is a shortage of laying space?

It's quite possible they didn't have larvae in originally, although I thought this whole frame was full last week... but maybe I missed them... who knows!

As for shortage of space, this is something that is worrying me rather a lot! My bees have stored a massive amount of honey in the brood box, and seem to be in no hurry to move it upstairs into the supers... I'm really concerned that this means the queen won't have space to lay.

They have moved some nectar/honey around, and so she has a lot more room than there was a few weeks ago, but they still have a good 4-5 14x12 frames FULL of capped honey.

I'm told that they will move this as and when necessary - but I'm still a bit skeptical of that... they don't seem in any hurry!

Is it possible that where the population has diminished in the hive so much from the swarm, and subsequent queenlessness, that there just aren't enough bees to get it all shifted?

wires

very common to see a beautiful W of empty cells in an otherwise pristine field of sealed brood. bees sense that the cells are imperfect and won't use. however once there has been a bit of housekeeping these may well be deemed workable and the pattern disappear (somewhat).

best way to disprove warming/magnetism theories would be to fix up some frames with double layer of foundation and wires between.

I wondered if this was because the metal of the wire got warmer, so increased the speed of the emergence of the workers? Or some other reason?

No. The wires act as an antennae for nearby satellites that are secret controlling what happens in beehives.

Latest posts

Back