Electric nailer / stapler

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theeggman

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
2 Cedar + 5 Poly
Lidl's have an electric nailer / stapler, mains, on offer between 19 - 25 June in our local store for £16.99.

It takes nails 15,20,25,32 mm.

Some of the offers are region specific but if you are interested and look at the website and enter your postcode it will tell you whether the offer is available in your area. Myself I'm sticking with fingers and a hammer, much more control.

Tim.

They don't bend from a staple gun. I use one all the time
No more gimp pin thumb for me!

When hand nailing seconds frames with a rampin I find that when the nail is partly in it hits a hidden layer of hard wood. I have to carefully finish using a hammer.

How does an electric nailer/stapler cope with a hard layer in the timber ?

Here is what I wrote on Mar 19

I note it shows 15mm brads. If may not take the cheaper (by far) 16mm size. Beware.Not really big enough for much, I would suggest, and you would be better off with a bigger machine for 14 x 12s. I use either a pneumatic lidl special at around twenty quid or an Arrow T something (200?) electric. I have a Canadian hand stapler/nailer that rarely gets used because I have loads of 16mm brads and it uses 15mm max. I wouldn't even think of the Aldi battery nailer. Had one and not long lived.RAB

This one is bigger than the one discussed on that thread but the nail size may still be appropriate.

When hand nailing seconds frames with a rampin I find that when the nail is partly in it hits a hidden layer of hard wood. I have to carefully finish using a hammer.

How does an electric nailer/stapler cope with a hard layer in the timber ?

I'm fine on the gimp pins... it's those small brass escutcheon nails for the runners that get me. When supplied with plastic runners, I pre-drill them now.

I just use gimp pins for the runners as well.

So do I, because I can never find the bloody brass ones.

But I use a manual staple/brad gun for frames and wouldn't go back because gimp pins are a pain in the arse and prone to snapping.

Thinking of a bigger nailgun for other boxes.

when putting in gimp pins use a strip of cardboard to hold the pin while tapping it in,no finger damage

air compressed Nail/stapler/pin gun

I bought 1 each of the above(they run off a mini compressor for £80), from a reconditioning shop in Preston, I was doing a load of cladding so bought a Dewalt 3" nailer, £80, a 32mm staple gun,£35 a 32mm pin nailer £30. I cannot tell you the difference these things have made. I made a National deep box from red cedar I bought from a local timber yard last night, the rigidity, power, precision, ease, finish that you get is brilliant. I've bought lots of DIY kit in the past as I have a fair bit to look after with a small holding and can't afford to get people in, these bits are probably the best buys I've ever made. The other bonus is that the nails are really cheap, cheaper than buying loose from a merchants in my view.

If you have the cash to make the investment then do it, I've clad a 3 bed wood cabin too internally and externally in timber, on my own and that too was a dream to put up with this kit.
Hope this helps and if you'd like to get the shop I got them from then message me.

when putting in gimp pins use a strip of cardboard to hold the pin while tapping it in,no finger damage

An extra part of the process is just more time wasted.

I have one of [ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Stanley-Heavy-Duty-Staple-0-TR250/dp/B000I5RD1Q/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1402646898&sr=8-2&keywords=stanley+staple+gun"]THESE[/ame].

Sorry, but to me that is just a toy. 15mm brads can get nailed with the handraulic mastercraft and staples with the trusty T-50 of approx 30 years age. Bigger jobs require the decent sized electric or pneumatic jobbie.

That size brad is only big enough for bottom frame bars and plastic runners, nothing much more than that. But if that is all you ever expect to use it for, great. Enjoy.

Sorry, but to me that is just a toy. 15mm brads can get nailed with the handraulic mastercraft and staples with the trusty T-50 of approx 30 years age. Bigger jobs require the decent sized electric or pneumatic jobbie.

That size brad is only big enough for bottom frame bars and plastic runners, nothing much more than that. But if that is all you ever expect to use it for, great. Enjoy.

I have to agree with Oliver on this point, you just won't find this tool is up to much at all, it's just like router bits that are V' cheap, most of the time they are only good for a very limited use period. If it's all you can afford then have a play with it to see what you can get away with, otherwise I'd spend a bit more and get something better that will do the job. This is why I often buy second hand as you get a bit better than you can afford new, and most people selling tools are honest enough about the quality etc

instead of using your index finger and thumb use you index and middle finger , knuckles facing the timber no more banging thumbs

Back