electric heat gun for scorching boxes???

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justme

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Other
Number of Hives
10(OSB hives)1 National
Hi all.
Just wondering whether an electric heat gun, as used for stripping paint etc, would work effiently for scorching/sterilising boxes and so on.
My guess is not, but thought I'd ask.

Thanks, di.

I used one a while back and it seemed to work quite well but was slow. You have to have it quite close to the wood to scorch it.

I now have a gas felting torch which does the same job in about 30 seconds. I have to be a a bit careful with it as it can turn a box into a bonfire quite quickly..

a gas torch is better it gets into any micro spits in the wood much better. Before i had a torch i used the cooker LOL does the same job more or less:hurray::cheers2:

I used one a while back and it seemed to work quite well but was slow. You have to have it quite close to the wood to scorch it.

I now have a gas felting torch which does the same job in about 30 seconds. I have to be a a bit careful with it as it can turn a box into a bonfire quite quickly..

Thanks oxford bee, guess i'll get a gas torch then:.)

Thanks also beehive lodge:.)

When scorching, remove the frame runners, scrape down the boxes to get all the propolis off and then gas torch the boxes and runners. You can then put the runners back on and be pretty certain you've given the boxes a good seeing to. Ideally, you want to get the boxes a chestnut brown colour inside after torching. Then you know you've given them enough heat to kill anything nasty. I use metal runners in most boxes and am moving over to them for all boxes as plastic runners are not quite so heat tolerent!

All the best...

I have used it and i spoiled my honey. It gived burned and melted wax aroma.so i bougt 2 electrict knives.

Finman,

If you scorched your honey like scorching a brood box, no wonder it got spoiled!

Regards, RAB

Latest posts

Back