elderflower

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sahtlinurk

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
do bees go to this plant ? I got loads outside flowering but haven't seen any bees on them. Also got acres of white clover around, may be a bit more attractive?

thanks,
Lauri.

I haven't seen bees on elder either, but I would guess that the pollen could be useful.

Clover is the bees knees! Pollen and, when it is warm enough, nectar in quantity.

best wishes

Gavin

Mine don't bother with it but I collected a swarm in an elderberry bush on Friday evening.

I am looking out of the window at home and notice the Elderflower is already finished and turned brown.

just started flowering here in Oxfordshire. Ok, they can't get the nectar but pollen?? had a closer look and my hand were yellow afterwards.

Just starting here in my garden in Sussex. And they are visiting it - BUT have to say that the ornamental poppy is really grabbing them. There are sometimes 4 in one flower - with pollen sacs full of black pollen. And soooo many Bumbles too. Great sight. So pleased I grew lots of varieties.

I know a local beekeeper who was telling me last year he had frames full of black pollen from the poppies,I think they grow them for medicine around my way as someone was saying they use 24 hour security on the fields.

I know a local beekeeper who was telling me last year he had frames full of black pollen from the poppies,I think they grow them for medicine around my way as someone was saying they use 24 hour security on the fields.
Yes opium poppies are grown in the uk, after all we're tearing up the poppies in Afghanistan !! got to get the opiates from somewhere :).
John Wilkinson

The opium poppy is Papaver somniflorum with big cabbagey leaves and is biennial. I think it flowers a bit later than now and does not produce enough opiates in our climate, otherwise it would be illegal to grow like in Italy and parts of the US - but the druggies probably don't know that.
At present we have the oriental poppy in flower, Papaver orientale, which is the big blousey perennial. Not used for drug manufacture i understand. Most years they seem to get ruined by rain but this year they have been fantastic. I like the white and pink varieties and there are some bi colours. Unfortunately I don't have enough well drained soil to grow many.

I lost my white-(choirboy) bur have another 4 varieties- and yes this year stupendous, and the deep red feathered one about to bloom- bees are like 'politicians with snouts' in it.....But none spaced out, so safe variety!!

Back