Eke for 14x12 brood box

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gower

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Hi all

i'm a newbee after some advice. I have 2 national hives, 1 with a standard BB and the other with a 14x12 BB. Can anyone advise as to the dimensions to make an eke to allow for 14x12 frames in the standard BB? I realise i can measure the outer depth of the 14x12 BB but I am wary about allowing enough bottom bee space internally?

I'm also considering the "deal" hives sold by Maisemore - presumably these are softwood (or ply) and have a shorter lifespan than red cedar and need regular treatment?

thanks for any replies!

Last edited:
The problem with the Thornes eke is that it fits above the existing brood chamber and is sized such that you really need to crop the end of the metal runners in the existing box. If you don't, the eke sits high and and it leaves a space that bees and wasps can enter. Nothing that a hacksaw to the runners or a chisel to the eke can't solve but fitting a top eke also moves the handholds down the hive body making them difficult to use.

A better solution IMHO is an eke that fits underneath, then all you need to accommodate is the bottom bee space recess and the rest can be plain sides following the inner and outer plan of the hive.

I don't quite understand. You are saying you have two different National brood boxes, and you cannot work out how deep an eke, to make them the same depth? Have you tried measuring them? Use both measurements to find the difference by taking the smaller from the larger?

RAB

I don't quite understand. You are saying you have two different National brood boxes, and you cannot work out how deep an eke, to make them the same depth? Have you tried measuring them? Use both measurements to find the difference by taking the smaller from the larger?

RAB

90mm extension (see right hand column for National & Deep National)

See http://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/album.php?albumid=120&pictureid=1006

I would add my own made extension to the bottom of the brood chamber and save myself the £17 odd quid.

Latest posts

Back