eggs on varroa board

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RayN

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
This is my first year keeping bees. I have noticed eggs amongst the debris on the varroa board. I don't think this is a good thing. Can the more experienced beeks comment please?

I may have a had a supercedure or a failing queen. I'm wondering now if I've got a laying worker(s)and the other workers are turfing the eggs out because they recognise them as not coming from a valid queen?

I'm relucant to open the hive because of the low temperatures.

Edited PS: I shoudl make it clear I mean bee eggs on the varroa board.

Last edited:
could it be that the queen started laying when the temps rised last week, and once they dropped again the bees clustered again leaving some of the eggs to chill. those that did have been thrown out by the workers.

I agree. Brooding started too early and the eggs have chilled and been dumped during the milder weather clean up and out.

Congrats on your eyesight.

PH

Bees also eat eggs - I have seen pictures of eggs damaged with a needle and then bees eating them. I would have expected them to eat any chilled eggs but perhaps they were too cold (eggs and/or bees)?

Bees also eat eggs - I have seen pictures of eggs damaged with a needle and then bees eating them. I would have expected them to eat any chilled eggs but perhaps they were too cold (eggs and/or bees)?

Fried, boiled or scrambled ?:confused:

sorry couldnt resist

I agree damaged /chilled eggs ejected by the bees as not viable.

Last edited:
Perhaps at this time of year bees are only interested in Carbohydrates rather than protein.

Last edited:
Hi Norm
Have you had a warm spell then cold again as in the uk,
presuming you are beekeeping outside the UK.?

Mark

Hi Norm
Have you had a warm spell then cold again as in the uk,
presuming you are beekeeping outside the UK.?

Mark

Hi Mark, it's not my bees we are on about but I would answer your question by saying that the nights here in Southern Spain are coldish (2 or 3 degrees) with warm sunny days mostly at this time of year. :)

Latest posts

Back