Eggs on inspection tray

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnandyrob

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
I have found eggs on my inspection tray only two. Is this normal?

Queens do not lay perfectly. Sometimes they might lay more than one in a cell and workers might dispose of the surplus ... usually by eating it/them.

And I guess a queen might lay the odd egg that is not sticky enough and which does not adhere to the cell base.

Then there are the eggs laid by workers which also get disposed of.

And then there are eggs laid in queen cups that are disposed of if the colony doesn't want a new queen.

And then there are the eggs laid in drone cells which are disposed of if the workers don't want drones.

Thanks you I can stop worrying now. I can never see them in the cells I think that's because of my Vail.

No up here every thing is done for the winter by the end of September 8.5 degrees today up here hasn't been over 10c degrees for over a week

if you look closly at the bottom left side of the photo , uou will see an egss in the debrie.

:iagree:

Ive never seen so much varroa :eek:

or an egg on the bottom board.

I have assumed that JohnAndyRob and Keith's posts are entirely separate and that Keith's picture is during Varroa treatment. Otherwise I would recommend a transition to Varroa culture rather than beekeeping....

Your only looking at a 4-5 inch square picture there. The board is larger than that. Thats frightening. :0

Are you saying eggs and 1 varroa ? or 2 eggs and 1000's of varroa ?.I would say you've got a real problem.Any crawling workers 'cos this colony looks to be a candidate for DWV.

nicely highlights the little white varroa which many might miss (?males or immature forms).

wrt the "egg" - it's longer than a 2mm mite so presume it isn't an egg at all just a bit of white shiny debris.

Swindon Bees

Having finally had chance to collect my copy of latest issue of Beecraft and read Ron Hoskins article it would appear that the bees responsible for the tray that Keith has photographed may be "uncappers" given the high presence of varroa nymphs. Can't spot any obvious pupal antennae though - presumably caught on the mesh floor.

Any sign of damage to the adult mites?

probably a good colony to breed from next year.

johna that isnt my photo. On my board was 2 eggs and 1 varroa

Rooftops thats what size they are about 1.5mm it could be from some thing else I should have kept them and asked at my local meeting dont think we get greater wax moth here but could be wrong

Thanks Regards Andrew

Latest posts

Back