Eggs in supers.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hivemaker.

Queen Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
On the thread by Bcrazy,about how a bee dies,he mentions the duty of some bee's in policing the hive,ie stopping workers laying. So do some bee's move eggs into supers, i think unlikely,or are these eggs a breakdown of this policing. This when it happens is usually in drone comb.

Last edited:
On the thread by Bcrazy,about how a bee dies,he mentions the duty of some bee's in policing the hive,ie stopping workers laying. So do some bee's move eggs into supers, i think unlikely,or are these eggs a breakdown of this policing. This when it happens is usually in drone comb.

You mean eggs behind excluder?

Thank you Finman,yes i do mean eggs above queen excluder in supers. Interesting to have some comments from others as to why they think this happens.

Last edited:
Is it always drone eggs above the excluder then? If not the answer is there is a hole in the excluder, but if it is, is it because the queen substance pheromone that suppresses workers' laying tendency is reduced???

No holes in excluders,could be a lack of pheremone,sometimes whole combs layed up with drone brood

Last edited:
I do not use excluders.
I could imagine that the hive has huge need to raise drones and that is bigger than policing worker eggs.

But in real life something is a rule and then there are deviations.

Many claim that bees may transfer worker cell to nother side of exluder and make a new queen. I have seen that the queen drop eggs and that is why egg will find its way under excluder.

I have also had queen cells made above the Queen excluder,and virgin queens emerge from them,and also the excluder new, and a good large Queen in the brood box.So in this case the egg must be moved as its a fertile egg.Very annoying when this happens.

Back