Egg Laying worker? (Pics)

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now that's interesting. I was expecting the workers to single out the eggs, yet there are cells there with 2 or 3 larvae!

Now that's interesting. I was expecting the workers to single out the eggs, yet there are cells there with 2 or 3 larvae!
twin and triplet bees!:eek:

I had a similar experience recently and the brood pattern was very similar to the pictures on this thread - ie multiple eggs at the bottom of cells, tiny developmental larvae and then the pepperpot capped brood pattern akin to the picture in MM's post, some looking domed and some flattish.

I'd diagnosed the hive as headed by a DLQ and was going to look for her and remove her this weekend, but now I think I might wait another week or couple of weeks and see whether the queen settles down and the brood pattern improves. The multiple eggs in a cell situation had certainly improved by the time I saw the capped brood pattern - there were more single eggs in cells on one of the frames.

I am wondering that as these are new queens coming into lay, whether there was enough laying space for the queen, initially.

Not suggesting definitely, but could this be related to over feeding - with loads of stores and little brood space?

We perhaps would like the posters to be completely candid about it, if so. It would assist other new beeks (and a lot of longer term ones), if this were the case, to curtail their 'feed, feed, feed' strategies.

So, were you feeding like crazy, or even just 'quite a bit'?

RAB

I am wondering that as these are new queens coming into lay, whether there was enough laying space for the queen, initially.

Not suggesting definitely, but could this be related to over feeding - with loads of stores and little brood space?

We perhaps would like the posters to be completely candid about it, if so. It would assist other new beeks (and a lot of longer term ones), if this were the case, to curtail their 'feed, feed, feed' strategies.

So, were you feeding like crazy, or even just 'quite a bit'?

RAB

Not feeding ar all. It was a week nuc that was able to only cover a small amount of brood and not able to keep up with the new queens demands.

twin and triplet bees!:eek:

Does happen...cast last year with never mated DLQ. Half heartedly pulled comb, laid up, all drone. Pulled and capped several "king cups"...long, smooth and some contained two occupants. All attempts to locate her failed including shaking out...she flew back with them. Finally removed box, comb wrecked.

Is it a year for DLQ's? Has the cold weather in May stopped queens getting mated? On Sunday out of seven colonies I've got two DLQ's and two not mated. Considering they where split six weeks ago.

SteveJ

Is it a year for DLQ's?

Short memory. Remember May 2011?

At least there have been a couple of times when matings could have occurred. Last June was quite hot; all my few queens were successfully mated in early June.

Think about it, if getting queens mated in the UK was so simple and predictable, there would be more queens reared in the UK, and fewer imported. It is not simply the temperature, but the precipitation, as well, which can upset the plans of those that want queens so 'early'.

Is it a year for DLQ's? Has the cold weather in May stopped queens getting mated? On Sunday out of seven colonies I've got two DLQ's and two not mated. Considering they where split six weeks ago.

SteveJ

Four way split on May 8th....three new queens when last seen had 3,4, and 5 frames worker brood and one is now in a full box, another heading that way. The fourth, same place in the apiary, same breeding....confirmed DLQ today. Element of lottery in this breeding lark...

I have a queen just started laying on saturday, on eggs and no larve, so I assume it was recent laying.

this means that she was due for her mating flight during the wettest weeks we've had for 2 years.

Just mated queen does not lay several eggs into cells. I have not seen that. Very rare and not worth to mention.

Worker layers lay eggs onto bottom. They are just like picture shows.
Eggs may bee like heap of twings on the bottom of cells.

I do not agree.

What ever bug it is, the queen cannot lay such way. If it is real queen, it has problems in antennae or in its instincts.

Take away, if it is a queen.

But it revieles out very soon when bees cap the larvae.

Last edited:
Update to the Nuc.

The queen turned out to be a DLQ.

Shook off all the frames onto the grass. Combined with the hives next door.

Haven't seen the queen, couldn't find her last night. Hopefully she will be dead in the grass.

if it was a DLQ why shake them out could you not find the queen.I have only ever shook out a hive with laying workers as they are impossible to find.

if it was a DLQ why shake them out could you not find the queen.I have only ever shook out a hive with laying workers as they are impossible to find.

I could not find the queen, never seen her. I suspect she was very small.

All the bees were flyer's, and flew into the hive next door.

Never had to petrol a hive, but this one came close.

Foxylad

Quality pics!

Latest posts

Back