Effectiveness of OA sublimation in practice

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On the subject of ignoring. If l ignore someone on the forum, how does that work? Surely that person's posts still appear as usual?
No ... they disappear ... so you can't see them unless someone else quotes them. The downside is that sometimes it makes threads look a little disjointed but if a person really really irritates you with their posts then it's an option. The grown up way is just to pass over the posts you find irksome and move on.

There seems to be little need these days on this forum to ignore people ... I don't find anyone that obnoxious that they need to be ignored .... oh dear ... can anyone see my posts ... is there anybody there ... ????

Indeed
Randy Oliver the American beekeeping bioscientist commented that some beekeepers in the vicinity of his large Californian apiary sites deliberately did not treat their bees against the varroa mite, and despite his own control which kept the varroa population very low, and at an acceptable level, VARROA BOMBS were being created in the untreated colonies, which indeed did infest his treated colonies.
Beekeepers in this very small island of ours have a responsibility to others to control pests and diseases.... not just varroa and the virus they carry...
Do not import bees ( including queens) from overseas.
Register on BEEBASE ( at very least you will get informed of outbreaks of AFB and or EFB in your area)

When varroa was first found in the South Devon Cockington Apiary ( not so far from Buckfast Abbey!) it was made a notifiable disease,,,,, history has shown that it should have been locked down then.

Treat all your colonies for varroa and encourage others to do so... it is the flea that carries the novel imported pathogenic virus we are seeing... beekeepers importing the rats ( queens packages etc)
Did anyone note the comments on varroa that Proffessor Grace Mc.C made yesterday evening on the BIBBA webinar about studies made on the genetic make up of varroa?
Very interesting!
Mytten da
Wise advice. Some beekeepers unfortunately think they can develop hygienic bees, without understanding the need to constantly monitor mite drops and act if the colony is not coping. Better to kill the colony (Prof Seeleys recommendation) if that’s the route they want to take to find VSH bees, rather than pass on varroa to other beekeepers

Last edited:
Purely anecdotal evidence but since the neonics ban I have seen a lot less varroa related problems.
Neonics kills termites by suppressing their grooming instinct and the colony then dies of diseases related to not grooming.
I have searched for research to see if neonics has the same effect on honeybees but couldn't find any.
Grooming can obviously reduce varroa.

Sometimes depending on the temperature vaping from below the mesh floor can have a reduced effect as a lot of the OA crystallises on the cold mesh so it doesn't enter the hive. Having the pan really close to the mesh reduces this but then it burns the galv off the mesh and you end up with a rusty circle.
This year I modified some clear crownboards, added an eke and vaped from the top of the hive via a hole drilled in the eke, that seemed to get a very good even dispersal of the OA. Looked better than through the entrance applications. It wasn't blocked by either a frame or disappeared straight through the omf like it can sometimes.
I use a sublimox as the varrox is too slow.

Sometimes depending on the temperature vaping from below the mesh floor can have a reduced effect as a lot of the OA crystallises on the cold mesh so it doesn't enter the hive. Having the pan really close to the mesh reduces this but then it burns the galv off the mesh and you end up with a rusty circle.
This year I modified some clear crownboards, added an eke and vaped from the top of the hive via a hole drilled in the eke, that seemed to get a very good even dispersal of the OA. Looked better than through the entrance applications. It wasn't blocked by either a frame or disappeared straight through the omf like it can sometimes.
I use a sublimox as the varrox is too slow.
Same here.
it works very well and you don’t have to shut the entrance

On the subject of the Sublimox vaporising device.
Extended the copper outlet with about 2 inches of similar sized (10mm?) copper tube... found it cooled the emission and it clogged...
Gone back to original length and have no problem.
Remade the simple wire clip to hold the device on the vaping hood.
Chons da

For under omf vaping simply add a an extra amount of subliminate substance to allow for any reforming on the mesh. Using a poly carb CB one can see that it disperses in to the hive enough.

Purely anecdotal evidence but since the neonics ban I have seen a lot less varroa related problems.
Neonics kills termites by suppressing their grooming instinct and the colony then dies of diseases related to not grooming.
I have searched for research to see if neonics has the same effect on honeybees but couldn't find any.
Grooming can obviously reduce varroa.
..........snip..................
Thats an interesting observation. Maybe there is a link, they are both social insects - they work together as a colony or a hive.

Latest posts

Back