Efb

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stu H

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I have had a bee inspection from my local DEFRA inspector and he has diagnosed my colony with EFB. All this follows an email from my my supplier Patrick laslett from Norwich who recommended that I have an inspection following his hives that donated mine and a friends nuc being diagnosed with EFB.

My question is that before purchase I asked for an assurance that the bees I was purchasing were disease free and this was given, now that my bees have been diagnosed what can I expect in way of a refund from the supplier?

Stu

100%
its a shame youll be under standstill or you could drive the bees back to him and start afresh with clean bees

Perhaps you should ask Patrick....if he gave you the guarantee.

I have sent Patrick several emails and had no reply, all of a sudden things have gone very quiet. I've been a beekeeper for 5 weeks and feel very disheartened at rescent events as I was looking forward to a successful future at beekeeping. I moved home so that I could take it up!

All were bought in good faith but now i am unsure of how to proceed now.

Stu

Did your inspecter offer to shook swarm your bees or were they so bad they have to be burnt ? If shook swarm is an option then its possible all is not lost

Unfortunately all is lost and both my colony and that of my friends have to be burnt! The disease is very deep seated and widespread. I will be digging the 18 inch hole first thing in the morning!

I'm totally gutted!

Stu

Unfortunately all is lost and both my colony and that of my friends have to be burnt! The disease is very deep seated and widespread. I will be digging the 18 inch hole first thing in the morning!

I'm totally gutted!

Stu

I'm very sorry to hear that Stu. It's something that we all hope that we never have to go through.

Fight for your refund and start again would be my advice.....for what it's worth.

I think you should be entitled to a full refund....i have spoken with Patrick in the past,only on the phone mind, and he struck me as a straight enough kind of guy.....but then he was buying new hive's, not selling bee's

Thank you for the kind replies, I'm currently looking to restock as the inspector recons i've got a grand spot for beekeeping! With the prospect of a fine harvest this year.

As I say 5 weeks of beekeeing and all this! Things can only get better!

Stu

Thank you for the kind replies, I'm currently looking to restock as the inspector recons i've got a grand spot for beekeeping! With the prospect of a fine harvest this year.

As I say 5 weeks of beekeeing and all this! Things can only get better!

Stu

You'll be a better 'beek' 'cos of it

Good luck.

Hard luck . As I said 100% - its only fair

I am confident you would be able to obtain redress. The e-mail shows a good link to the cause. I would think this supplier is severely distressed at this time - one does not know how many nucs were distributed. I would think he will eventually reply and reimburse. The alternative could be a claim through the small claims court. You have the evidence of purchase and the Inspectorate instructions.

It is a shame to lose bees to EFB at any time but for new starters that is unfortunate. For the disease to be present for 5 weeks without noticing does demonstrate the need for all beeks to be fully aware of the symptoms to be inspecting for, and to be vigilant. EFB is quite easy to eradicate but spreads easily. I hope the bee inspectors do not find any more cases local to you.

Regards, RAB

Latest posts

Back