Efb

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mandeville

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
WBC
Number of Hives
I'm a bit concerned that one of my colonies might have EFB.

I've got a test kit but it expired December 2018. Does anyone know if it will give me a meaningful result?

EFB is a notifiable disease, so there is a legal obligation on you to immediately contact your local bee inspector if you suspect any of your colonies has it. By not doing so you are putting your other hives as risk of infection as well as hives belonging to others in your neighborhood. Please don't delay.

Efb is an easy disease. IT goes away when you change the Queen to immune Queen. IT does not spread normally to other hives.

Efb is easy to identify. Collapsed milky white larvae in the cells.

Last edited:
You should breed Efb out from your Isles. Wing veins are not so important to breed .

Finman is in a different country with different rules. Contact the inspector immediately. As stated....it is notifiable.
E

Finman is in a different country with different rules. Contact the inspector immediately. As stated....it is notifiable.
E

I have read dfb from American disease booklet and some others'. Nothing to do with "our different" country.

If you guys want to get rid off efb, kick of your sick genepool.

I think you'll find that the sbi will use a lfd kit to confirm the diagnosis. They're very reliable

My sbi leaves me a few test kits whenever he comes. Mostly they get used just to demonstrate to others how they work.
Apparently with an out of date kit a false positive is possible, but not a false negative.

I have read dfb from American disease booklet and some others'. Nothing to do with "our different" country.

If you guys want to get rid off efb, kick of your sick genepool.

What I am trying to say finman as that we HAVE TO REPORT a case of fb to the authorities. We have no option. It is then down to the authorities to say how we deal with it. We CANNOT just breed it out.
E

What I am trying to say finman as that we HAVE TO REPORT a case of fb to the authorities. We have no option. It is then down to the authorities to say how we deal with it. We CANNOT just breed it out.
E

Then you report. I only told how to heal the disease. You have never minded about my advices, why now?

You cannot breed it out? Is that illegal too?
But you have already resistant bee strains there. Just like chalkbrood.

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses. Of course I know the disease is notifiable. I hope the SBI's have a good stock of kits because nobody is selling them at the moment and apparently the manufacturers are having production problems.

Apparently with an out of date kit a false positive is possible, but not a false negative.
Yesterday afternoon when I had more time, I went back into the suspect colony with a torch, a magnifier and a colleague, and between us we decided that they were actually OK, but I used the test anyway and it was negative.

There's EFB in the area so I was being paranoid.

There's EFB in the area so I was being paranoid.

Its not paranoia when they are out to get you.
With EFB in the area, getting concerned for a suspect colony is completely proportionate.

Well done for even thinking something may be wrong. No criticism at all.
E

Its not paranoia when they are out to get you.
With EFB in the area, getting concerned for a suspect colony is completely proportionate.
:iagree::iagree::iagree:
With an outbreak of EFB confirmed in my area.... my hive inspection time has gone from a flip and move on in 6 minutes to 30 minutes per colony... and gallons of Red Label Bleach!

Chons da

Latest posts

Back