EFB locally. Should it be more widely known?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I take this back, partially. Buried amongst an email from the branch secretary is a note from the BBKA Chair that 'Foulbrood is about'. But nothing more specific. Could do better.

I know that as of a month or two ago there was a substantial outbreak in Bristol. Of course once they mention it they don't keep you updated. Too busy spending your membership money on buying the BBKA newsletter so you can read about the benefits of matchsticks and the perils of condensation.

I know that as of a month or two ago there was a substantial outbreak in Bristol. Of course once they mention it they don't keep you updated. Too busy spending your membership money on buying the BBKA newsletter so you can read about the benefits of matchsticks and the perils of condensation.
You cannot be serious, surely ???

300m from me EFB has been found, hives destroyed, colonies shook swarmed by SBI. I've been given all clear. Source not identified so could be swarms spreading this about at the moment.

Should the local association be making this known? Published on social media?

What do other areas do?

The problem is how does the local association get to hear about the outbreak?

Here in Wales we get a notification in the quarterly magazine of all locations where AFB or EFB have been found to an approximate OS grid square but unless an official of the local association is in the area that the NBU notifies around an outbreak they won't find out about it unless some kind soul tells them. The NBU can't or won't tell the association due to the old 'data protection' trope.

The problem is how does the local association get to hear about the outbreak?

Here in Wales we get a notification in the quarterly magazine of all locations where AFB or EFB have been found to an approximate OS grid square but unless an official of the local association is in the area that the NBU notifies around an outbreak they won't find out about it unless some kind soul tells them. The NBU can't or won't tell the association due to the old 'data protection' trope.
I can understand the data protection issue and it sounds as if Wales has a sensible approach. Wish the same happened on this side of the country.

In my situation I'd like for my association to email it's members saying "There has been EFB found in x. If you pick up a swarm in this area then . . .. . The NBU is carrying out inspections over the next few weeks. . . . . If you have an apiary in this area then update Beebase . . . . .. "

If my association had a group of volunteers that would assist anyone who has had the email from the NBU it could help the inspectors. ?

(Am I taking this too seriously?)

. . . . Ben

I believe it’s on going, according to BeeBase.

Interestingly it's only taken a day to register my outbreak on BeeBase but a recent outbreak at a BKA teaching apiary took about a week to get registered.
I wonder how that works?

I can understand the data protection issue and it sounds as if Wales has a sensible approach. Wish the same happened on this side of the country.

In my situation I'd like for my association to email it's members saying "There has been EFB found in x. If you pick up a swarm in this area then . . .. . The NBU is carrying out inspections over the next few weeks. . . . . If you have an apiary in this area then update Beebase . . . . .. "

If my association had a group of volunteers that would assist anyone who has had the email from the NBU it could help the inspectors. ?

(Am I taking this too seriously?)

. . . . Ben

Perhaps your association could have a member of the committee to monitor the information on Beebase? All the reports (including historical) are on this page

Beebase - Beekeeping information resource for Beekeepers

so looking at the links marked as 'live report...' would give the current status, for AFB, EFB, inspections etc they'd need to search through the list for your area but I'm sure it's doable.

Perhaps your association could have a member of the committee to monitor the information on Beebase? All the reports (including historical) are on this page

Beebase - Beekeeping information resource for Beekeepers

so looking at the links marked as 'live report...' would give the current status, for AFB, EFB, inspections etc they'd need to search through the list for your area but I'm sure it's doable.
I'm thinking that the membership should know that if they get an NBU disease alert email they can notify a nominated volunteer or committee member. The branch could then inform the whole membership and keep them updated on progress.
I wouldn't want to cause extra work for the bee inspectors. Also need to avoid blame. Lecture above stresses you can just be unlucky.

I wonder this discussion. EFB does not spread like wild fire from hive to hive.

What some membership has to do with EFB. You have there too wild beehives. What do you think about them?

If the NBU/Beebase system works and registered beekeepers close to an outbreak automatically receive notification, why is there a need to add more complexity/gold plate it?

I wonder this discussion. EFB does not spread like wild fire from hive to hive.

What some membership has to do with EFB. You have there too wild beehives. What do you think about them?
Good to know it is slow to spread.
There are few wild colonies here. It is an area of intensive agriculture. Saying that there was a feral colony in the church tower just outside my property. Died out a few years ago.

If the NBU/Beebase system works and registered beekeepers close to an outbreak automatically receive notification, why is there a need to add more complexity/gold plate it?
If the Beebase system works. You'd have to ask a bee inspector who has had to use it to trace an infection.

I've set up a couple of friends who have no training, never heard of EFB before I had to warn them and need not have set up their apiaries on Beebase or joined an association.
If EFB can be spread by a swarm I know I've lost 2 before the disease alert and one arrived yesterday.

The local community of beeks could help bee inspectors. My SBI spent time looking for some colonies owned by a local lady who died 18 months ago and her bees were taken on by a friend.

The local community of beeks could help bee inspectors. My SBI spent time looking for some colonies owned by a local lady who died 18 months ago and her bees were taken on by a friend.

I have a map of all the local hives and wild colonies I've managed to locate over the last 5 years.
If there is an outbreak in my locality I will offer it to the SBI to help him find the source of any disease or contact those owners not on BeeBase.

Perhaps your association could have a member of the committee to monitor the information on Beebase?
All local BKAs are supposed to have a Bee Health officer on the committee. Often same person as the Asian Hornet lead.
Ours has at division and association level.

Having said that, I know of some who take on the role and never look once at BeeBase to check local outbreaks. (And some who wouldn't know if they were looking at EFB, chalkbrood or just mouldy pollen :hairpull: )

Email your local SBI and they will sort it.

I would certainly hope that EFB stays within an apiary as I have just had confirmation of a positive in one of my hives. Negative on the other 2 in the apiary.
The problem I have is that the hives had to be moved about 150m across the property earlier this year so moved them to my main apiary which has about 15 hives in it for 3 weeks. The SBI is coming back next week to check out that apiary.☹️.
Up date ------ SBI inspected the other two hives this week and gave them a clean bill of health after 6 weeks. He also inspected my main apiary and gave that the all clear as well.
Just the one apiary on lockdown now and he's coming back to that one on 5th August. 🤞🏻

300m from me EFB has been found, hives destroyed, colonies shook swarmed by SBI. I've been given all clear. Source not identified so could be swarms spreading this about at the moment.

Should the local association be making this known? Published on social media?

What do other areas do?
Dont blame swarms its much more obvoiuse ......drones

SBI inspected the other two hives this week and gave them a clean bill of health after 6 weeks. He also inspected my main apiary and gave that the all clear as well. Just the one apiary on lockdown now
Positive news, Neil, but be cautious: a clean bill of health is like an MOT - accurate on the day - but EFB can lurk at a sub-clinical level in an apiary for a long time.

Never done one before but I did a full disease inspection last week, shaking bees off all brood frames and failed to find anything that concerned me (with my limited experience, true). But then the colonies are all big and thriving at the moment. Including the 2 swarms that arrived after the initial NBU notification which will be 6 weeks old.
(Couldn't even find any chalkbrood which has been an issue since I started. ?)
Some pollen cells can look suspicious.
DSCF20210716-12.-small.jpg

The apiary which was the original source of the outbreak has had problems. One shook swarmed colony swarmed/absconded? and both went queenless. May have to help out with a frame of eggs.

Thinking I should do another disease inspection later in the year and again next spring. Then relax again.

. . .. . Ben

Positive news, Neil, but be cautious: a clean bill of health is like an MOT - accurate on the day - but EFB can lurk at a sub-clinical level in an apiary for a long time.
I know Eric,
That apiary has had EFB warnings for the last 4 years so I will taking additional precautions in its management. If it had been further positive results I would have probably given up keeping bees there.

Back