EFB, Lateral flow tests should be part of our inspection equipment.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Should EFB lateral flow tests be part of our daily inspection kit.

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 9 75.0%
  • Unsure

Votes: 3 25.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Dodge

Younger than I look. From Solihull West Midlands
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi all.

Now that the nation appears to be clued up on what a lateral flow test is and how to use one should they become another tool to be used in our hive inspection kit. This is in addition to reporting EFB and AFB being immediately reported to the local Bee Inspector.

Caveat, I am only interested in EFB. If AFB is suspected the local bee inspector must be informed.

Lateral flow tests are readily available from the bee supply industry.

I understand that previously the use of lateral flow tests have not been mentioned due, I guess, to concern that people would not know how such tests work or be conducted correctly but times have changed somewhat in the last 18 months.

Last edited:
Yep, agree with that. Just didn't want to stick only to EFB. Text edited to make that clear.

In my view no. Beginners are going to waste a heck of a lot of money sampling every suspicious larva. If in doubt call the SBI
:iagree: and it's not difficult to get a false reading, leaving them in a state of panic or complacency

Reactions: mbc
False negatives would cause all sorts of trouble.
Before getting lateral flow devices beekeepers should go to disease recognition events at associations, eyes and noses are more reliable than test kits imho

No.
you don’t have to notify if you have varroa. The default is that you have and it’s reportable not notifiable

The Bee Diseases and Pests Control (England) (Amendment) Order 2021

“Reporting of Varroa mite (Varroosis)

3A.—(1) An owner or person in charge of a hive who knows that any species of the Varroa mite (Varroosis) is present within that hive must give notice of that fact to the Secretary of State as soon as is practicable.

so it is 'statutorily notifiable', but the good news is that the NBU does it for you - but only if you are on Beebase. If you are not on Beebase, and if your bees have varroa then you are breaking the law if you do not notify

The Bee Diseases and Pests Control (England) (Amendment) Order 2021

“Reporting of Varroa mite (Varroosis)

3A.—(1) An owner or person in charge of a hive who knows that any species of the Varroa mite (Varroosis) is present within that hive must give notice of that fact to the Secretary of State as soon as is practicable.

so it is 'statutorily notifiable', but the good news is that the NBU does it for you - but only if you are on Beebase. If you are not on Beebase, and if your bees have varroa then you are breaking the law if you do not notify
I stand corrected
Yes......should all be jailed or sent to Australia

I agree
I asked on my BKA Facebook page whether anybody else had an AFB alert and quite a few people were not even aware of Beebase. They have all registered now
Have you had AFB around you then Dani?

First time I’ve ever had an alert in 9 years. Took the wind out of my sails I can tell you. I think there were 8 cases in Ceredigion last year
I can understand that...... it makes you start to rethink your bio security. My van is now rammed with extra hive tools, washing soda, bee suits, nitriles, smokers and a shed load of antibacterial wipes and spray! I can't guarantee that I won't get EFB again but I'm determined I won't spread it!

Latest posts

Back