Efb in Scotland

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blairshill

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
EFB also in the Lothians

I have just received the following email from my local association in Glasgow

Ten colonies with EFB have been detected in the same general area of the Lothians as the recent AFB cases. This area was checked last year and no foulbrood found. Checking the appropriate boxes on the BeeBase map will show you the approximate locations:

https://secure.fera.defra.gov.uk/beebase/maps/map.cfm

The map also shows that most of the EFB cases so far this year are in the area around Blairgowrie with a small number north of Perth, west of Kirriemuir, and north of Montrose. Many of the differences compared to the map of EFB cases in
2009 may be due to the fact that many colonies were already on their heather sites when inspected in 2009. Therefore the apiaries in 2009 in Glenshee and around Pitlochry and Blair Atholl may have been near Blairgowrie when checked in 2010. The same may apply to some of the Angus cases.

Ah the speed of email! I wrote that last Thursday. :)

G.

PS There was a piece summarising the foulbrood situation in Scotland in this month's Scottish Beekeeper, and another one discussing the history and origin of EFB in Scotland in the issue coming.

FB

In Northern Italy someone has been going round stealing hives and substituting them with poor quality colonies, often with AFB!!!

Read the article in the Scottish Beekeeper and will look out for forthcoming article. Are you the author of either?

Latest posts

Back