EFB in my area

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VEG

Queen Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
15+-some
A fellow beekeeper rang and said he has EFB at his apiary, about 2 miles from me. He has 7 hives 2 confirmed EFB 1 likely, samples sent off for the others. I have a visit from the SBI on sunday.:ack2:

What a worry VEG. Tell us how you get on. Fingers crossed for you!

It is treatable depending on the % . If it is high then disposal is the reccomended treatment.

Unlikely you could have missed a bad infection. Good luck. Pob hwyl

A fellow beekeeper rang and said he has EFB at his apiary, about 2 miles from me. He has 7 hives 2 confirmed EFB 1 likely, samples sent off for the others. I have a visit from the SBI on sunday.:ack2:

Sorry to hear. Your all hives will be burned.

Sorry to hear. Your all hives will be burned.

Glad to say - that is not so!

EFB (unless like the variant (whatever that might be ) found in Scotland) is treatable and tertracyclin is the way to go with strong colonies with light infection (along with new brood frame).

It is AFB which requires the 'burn to destroy' treatment.

Stand-still on honey sales (for 6 months, I believe), of potentially EFB contaminated honey is regarded as long enough for any contamination to have subsided. Acetic acid treatment of frames is a good cleansing method for prevention.

Somewhat different to the persistence of AFB spores.

Regards, RAB

Stand-still on honey sales (for 6 months, I believe), of potentially EFB contaminated honey is regarded as long enough for any contamination to have subsided.

Eh?

Where did that come from?

Wish you and your girls well Veg I guess he/she will inspect all 12 hives so will be long day.

No doubt you will let us know Sunday how it went. I truly hope being 2 miles away you should be all clear.

Another chap about 2 miles the other side has had the all clear so fingers crossed.

EFB (unless like the variant (whatever that might be ) found in Scotland) is treatable and tertracyclin is the way to go with strong colonies with light infection (along with new brood frame).
Regards, RAB

I assume this means shook swarm the bees. Tetracyclin is not the best method of removing the EFB. The best way is to shook swarm ALL the hives in the apiary on the same day.

Stand-still on honey sales (for 6 months, I believe), of potentially EFB contaminated honey is regarded as long enough for any contamination to have subsided. Acetic acid treatment of frames is a good cleansing method for prevention.
Regards, RAB

Sorry, the 6 month prohibition on honey sales is related to antibiotic break down. Presumably another reason for going the shook swarm way.

A useful reference is: http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Topics/farmingrural/Agriculture/animal-welfare/Diseases/SpecificDisease/foulbrood/EFBFAQ

The relevent snippit for the 6 month period is:

27. What is the withdrawal period for oxytetracycline?
It should be possible to harvest honey from infected colonies before treatment. An extended withdrawal period of a minimum of 6 months will apply for honey produced by treated colonies to allow for breakdown of the antibiotic.

Spoke to the sbi this morning and he cant make it till mid week. So looks like I will have to wait a bit longer.
The chap that has the EFB has had 3 colonies distroyed as they had a high percentage. He is under standstill notice for 6 weeks until he has another test then.

Well good news all my colonies are disease free and doing well had a call from the SBI to say all clear.:hurray::hurray::hurray:

Back