Efb in area

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blueboy

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Have just been inspected by local bee inspector...
Somebody very close to my hives (1mile radius) had brought a nuc from a uk supplier and it had died during the winter. The supplier had imported the bees and sold them with a clean bill of health forgetting to mention that other nucs had been diagnosed with efb.
My bees are fine but it is frustrating that a beginner desperate to have bees has brought a potentially devastating disease into the area.
Strange thing is that I know the beginner and if he had just talked to me about his interest in bees I could had supplied him!!

Somebody very close to my hives (1mile radius) had brought a nuc from a uk supplier and it had died during the winter. The supplier had imported the bees and sold them with a clean bill of health forgetting to mention that other nucs had been diagnosed with efb.
My bees are fine but it is frustrating that a beginner desperate to have bees has brought a potentially devastating disease into the area.
Strange thing is that I know the beginner and if he had just talked to me about his interest in bees I could had supplied him!!

Not wishing to put my foot in it again, re imports and diseases, but was this info from the LBI and if so what if any action are they likely to take against said importer, as presumably they selling possibly infected bees to a wider area/nation wide to unsuspecting buyers and spreading EFB.

Last edited:

My heart was in my mouth for a second there, you're local to me and i had to re read it twice to make sure it was not you with EFB

Pweeeew

Trading Standards would be interested in a supplier selling good that are not "fit for purpose" mefinks!

The good thing from this if there is such a thing is that it looks as though the new beekeeper had the foresight to contact the bee inspector and as result will stop a bad situation getting a whole lot worse.

Yes, so NBU MUST reveal what apiaries have AFB or EFB so that informed choices can be made. Farmers with F&M are on the net within 24 hours.

Also, it would be of great value for those in associations to keep promises of supplying bees.

What kind of ***** supplier continues to supply bees from a source known to have EFB, does he/she think that no-one will notice?
IMHO the supplier should be named and shamed and banned from trading !
S

What kind of ***** supplier continues to supply bees from a source known to have EFB, does he/she think that no-one will notice?
IMHO the supplier should be named and shamed and banned from trading !
S

A+ name and shame

BB - if you are worried then you could carry out a shook swarm on all your colonies, ensuring all the new kit has been well cleaned and sterilised. This is probably going a bit over the top but it would give peace of mind and the colonies will very quickly recover at this time of year. But you would have to do it all at the same time, don't spread it over a week.

It can strike anywhere and its nothing to be ashamed about, unless you then try and sell them knowing they have it!

Latest posts

Back