eBUY BEES!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Miriads
Should the auction site eBay (or others of that ilk) be auctioning bees?

One such auction proceeding at the present time offers in the description to email the winning bidder full instructions on how to care for them!

Should the auction site eBay (or others of that ilk) be auctioning bees?

One such auction proceeding at the present time offers in the description to email the winning bidder full instructions on how to care for them!

Their rules say:

Though pets and most other live animals can't be listed, there are few types that you can sell.

Restricted: The sales of the following animals are permitted, provided that the seller guarantees in the listing that the animals will be packaged safely and posted via next day delivery.

Live bait (minnows, shiners, earth worms, and meal worms)

Live insects, crickets used as bait or feeder food for pets

Shellfish, such as crabs and lobsters, that are live when sold but intended for human consumption

Aquarium or pond fish, snails, tadpoles or similar creatures

Hatching eggs for some animals are permitted provided the seller offers domestic-only shipping within the UK. However, hatching eggs from endangered species, migratory or wild birds, snakes, or turtles aren't allowed

Not allowed: Sales of other animals not listed in the exceptions above

So I would say no.

Every once in a while some plonker tries it, then rapidly gets reported and stopped!

Every once in a while some plonker tries it, then rapidly gets reported and stopped!

Please someone email me instructions for keeping bees !

This plonker says its ok because they are ONLY insects !

£150 starting bid for a strong colony of Buckfasts... so gentle no protective hoods or other poncy gear needed to look after them, bring suitable container to collect...... collection only.
Could be sold with hive.

Well something like that
Hurry 2 days to go folks!!!

description may be exaggerated

:biggrinjester:

Last edited:
I can't seem to find that one on eBay but livestock are on their restricted list, live insects are allowed but the rules infer that they are for bait or feeding purposes. If you are not happy with the listing you can report it and they will remove the listing if your complaint is upheld.

I do agree with you though, if the listing is as you have described it does smack of irresponsibility. The only thing is there doesn't appear to be anything stopping a person buying a nuc of bees mail order with no experience or training.

Quote>>

Though pets and most other live animals can't be listed, there are few types that you can sell.

Restricted

The sales of the following animals are permitted, provided that the seller guarantees in the listing that the animals will be packaged safely and posted via next day delivery.
Live bait (minnows, shiners, earth worms, and meal worms)
Live insects, crickets used as bait or feeder food for pets
Shellfish, such as crabs and lobsters, that are live when sold but intended for human consumption
Aquarium or pond fish, snails, tadpoles or similar creatures
Hatching eggs for some animals are permitted provided the seller offers domestic-only shipping within the UK. However, hatching eggs from endangered species, migratory or wild birds, snakes, or turtles aren't allowed

Not allowed

Sales of other animals not listed in the exceptions above

<<End Quote

Sorry for duplicating the ebay rules, I shouldn't take so long over compiling my reply :)

eBay have certainly removed these in the past, suppose it pushes more traffic towards other auction sites like ******** and potentially here

EDIT: ****** = another bee auction site

eBay have certainly removed these in the past, suppose it pushes more traffic towards other auction sites like ******** and potentially here

EDIT: ****** = another bee auction site

he is still on Ebid with a similar advert but ebay removed him at about 1:30am while i was looking at the advert, thought my laptop had gone wrong as when he screen refreshed and "the advert vanish"

Why would anyone be selling bees in this way at this time of year. It makes me think that they may be stolen.

Back