ebay.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
3 National Hives & 1 Observation Hive.(Indoors) & lots of empty boxes..
Looking at a bee book on ebay and I noticed the seller has written this in with the descrition.

I always get a post office receipt of posting. Once the item is posted it becomes the responsibility of the post office. If it gets lost by them I will help to recover the item but I am not responsible for giving any refund, that is for the P.O.

Dont know how well you are aquainted with ebay/paypal rules but as far as they are concerned, the above statement by the seller is, well,,,, crap.

If you post something to a seller using ordinary post and it doesnt arrive, its the sellers fault.... No, I know its not really the seller's fault, but ebay/paypal say it is and that the seller must refund the buyer...

It is not up to the buyer to claim money from the PO for lost parcel..Its up to the seller to refund the buyer and try and get their money back from the PO.

Unfortuneately this is a bonus to a dishonest buyer, because all they have to do is say it didnt arrive and they get their money back.....

Ebay doesnt acknowledge Proof of Posting tickets. The only thing they will accept is a tracking number. Then, if a parcel doesnt arrive, ebay will still say the seller is at fault but,, from the one time experience I had, ebay funded the refunded to the buyer...... I assume that they then claim from the PO.
It only cost an extra 74p(?) to send something recorded within the UK.. but nearly £5 extra for overseas "signed for" postage..... If its something you are selling as part of your business,, i.e. you had to buy it, it may be worth paying the extra, or you can just hope that only 1 in 100 parcels goes missing... and this is probably the best option for low value goods. Just hope that you can make a £ or so on the postage for each parcel, to cover for any losses. Its the same principal as shops charging buyers extra to pay for stuff that is knicked...
Nobody will pay £8 for post for something they have bought which only cost £1.99

Looking at a bee book on ebay and I noticed the seller has written this in with the descrition.

I always get a post office receipt of posting. Once the item is posted it becomes the responsibility of the post office. If it gets lost by them I will help to recover the item but I am not responsible for giving any refund, that is for the P.O.

Dont know how well you are aquainted with ebay/paypal rules but as far as they are concerned, the above statement by the seller is, well,,,, crap.

If you post something to a seller using ordinary post and it doesnt arrive, its the sellers fault.... No, I know its not really the seller's fault, but ebay/paypal say it is and that the seller must refund the buyer...

It is not up to the buyer to claim money from the PO for lost parcel..Its up to the seller to refund the buyer and try and get their money back from the PO.

Unfortuneately this is a bonus to a dishonest buyer, because all they have to do is say it didnt arrive and they get their money back.....

Ebay doesnt acknowledge Proof of Posting tickets. The only thing they will accept is a tracking number. Then, if a parcel doesnt arrive, ebay will still say the seller is at fault but,, from the one time experience I had, ebay funded the refunded to the buyer...... I assume that they then claim from the PO.
It only cost an extra 74p(?) to send something recorded within the UK.. but nearly £5 extra for overseas "signed for" postage..... If its something you are selling as part of your business,, i.e. you had to buy it, it may be worth paying the extra, or you can just hope that only 1 in 100 parcels goes missing... and this is probably the best option for low value goods. Just hope that you can make a £ or so on the postage for each parcel, to cover for any losses. Its the same principal as shops charging buyers extra to pay for stuff that is knicked...
Nobody will pay £8 for post for something they have bought which only cost £1.99

Agreed. I use proof of posting for ebay items, but his is for me to be able to reclaim any costs form the Post Office, not the buyer. Have you placed a message on the vendor's auction? I will if you send me the link, as this kind of shenanigans really annoys me.

I use proof of posting for ebay items, but his is for me to be able to reclaim any costs form the Post Office,

Thats all I use them for, bit annoying now that we have to fill in the form ourselves tho.... I cant be bothered most of the time unless its something over £15.00. Most of the stuff I sell I make myself so any loss is only pennies...

I think the seller is a beek or ex beek.
He, like all the others, probably thinks he is correct in what he says.

I use manly Hermes to send stuff that way i have a tracking number to each parcel and the buyer is told it from as soon as possible so they can track there own order as it comes to them, any thing small is sent by the post office but as recorded delivery only.

i dont normaly cover the parcels with insurance unless the buyer wants me to do it at there cost

more irritating is when you send an item in all good faith, with tracking number to a confirmed address and the buyer can not be bothered to collect item from postal depot, because no one would sign for it... and then you get it back... and you get accused of not sending the item in the first instance.
I will only send back out if the buyer sends a postal order to cover the full cost of resending. as for Playpal no way!!!!
mostly its classic motorcycle parts I sell occasionally on ebuy to reduce the clutter in the shed!
another diatribe with nothing whatsoever to do with bees.... keeps things interesting!

hate to bee a beebore!!!

The only parcel I had problems about was one to Brazil.. Buyer contacted me and said he hadnt got it . I asked him to wait a few more days. He still hadnt got it.
I told him that he should contact ebay. Never heard any more for a little while. Then again, he said he hadnt got it. I asked if he had contacted ebay and he said yes. I phoned ebay and they said he hadnt..
I didnt a bit of digging and found that the PO in Brazil had tried 3 times to deliver it but nobody home,and they were sending it back.(I never got it tho)
Ebay emailed me . I gave them tracking number and said buyer hadnt been at home. They classed it as my fault and said buyer would be refunded but after a few emails I managed to get out of them, (they just dont read what you actually write in an email to them) that no money was being taken from my account.

I get a lot of return customers but I have noticed that if anything does go missing, and that is a rare occurance, that it is something for a first time buyer...

Last time I looked on a PO international claim that they wanted evidence of the purchase cost of the item and not the retail price....

That rules out the Christmas jumper from Granny then...

I use paypal as its so convenient. I also use a paypal debit card as the quickest way to get hold of my money which is in my paypal account.
There are ways of sending money without paying commision.

When you send money, enter the email address, thenthe amount, then click on "Personal" the click on "Personal money owed"
then send it. They get the full amount. So if you tell people to send money to you that way, no commision, but it wouldnt be any good for an ebay item that went missing...

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back