Ebay bargain The Practical Bee Guide 1941 Rare by DIGGES Beekeeping

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nocky4

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Just noticed there is a copy of

The Practical Bee Guide 1941 Rare by DIGGES Beekeeping

selling on ebay for 1p its over $160 on Amazon.

Don`t know if of interest to anyone?

as thats your first post it begs the question, are you selling this ? :)

Jez

All the 2nd hand book shops I have been in recently, Wigtown (10 or so) and Alnwick (1.. but huge) report rapid turn over in bee books.

PH

A 1928 copy (Sixth Edition) went for 99p on Ebay last week.

All the 2nd hand book shops I have been in recently, Wigtown (10 or so) and Alnwick (1.. but huge) report rapid turn over in bee books.

PH

Thanks PH, you have just reminded me that I still have £25 credit at Alnwick's Barter Books!

Might be a while until it gets used though, as I now live Darn Sarth.

LOL

I went in with the Dummies book to see what they would offer me, and I was a bit taken aback at £5. Needles to say when I get around to it it will be on Ebay.

I also note with interest that it is a book that is frequently for sale there, I wonder why...LOL

Oops, there are 15 for sale right now and another four from abroad. Might be more diff to shift than I thought.

PH

Sold my copy :)

LOL

I went in with the Dummies book to see what they would offer me, and I was a bit taken aback at £5. Needles to say when I get around to it it will be on Ebay.

I also note with interest that it is a book that is frequently for sale there, I wonder why...LOL

Oops, there are 15 for sale right now and another four from abroad. Might be more diff to shift than I thought.

PH

I have just found the book by J. G. Digges The Practical Bee Guide
printed Ninth edition 1941.

Did not realise it was a sought after publication.

Regards;

Sought after by 4 bidders who were willing to pay up to the £5.50 selling price.

Cost someone £8.25 including shipping. About 3 jars, down at the pub.

So, either a snip or just an interesting read for the buyer.

I find a lot of the old books were good for the beekeeping methods. The National hive had been standardised some years before the book above, and many others were similar. So, very little has changed on that front during the last 70 years.

The modern bits to update are just that - modern.

What have we? Varroah, OMF, more prolific bees, different crops, more mono-culture, some different crops, pesticides, a few new hive-variants and a changing(?) climate. Not really a great deal in the way of 'progress' over those years.

Perhaps some can add their topics for progress - and it does not really include a 'plastic' beetainer as that has yet to be proven as a progressive step (excepting the poly hives).

Regards, RAB

/home/finnegan/Desktop/avg_free_stb_all_8_32_cnet.exe
Ah but the style in which it is written!. .... It was the first beekeeping book I ever read and it was an antigue edition little borrowed from the local library. It conjured up delightfully bucolic images of a rural clergyman tending his bees and cycling round the countryside on warm sunny days wearing a straw hat and exhorting others to take up the craft.

P F

I find a lot of the old books were good for the beekeeping methods. The National hive had been standardised some years before the book above, and many others were similar. So, very little has changed on that front during the last 70 years.

The modern bits to update are just that - modern.

What have we? Varroah, OMF, more prolific bees, different crops, more mono-culture, some different crops, pesticides, a few new hive-variants and a changing(?) climate. Not really a great deal in the way of 'progress' over those years.

Perhaps some can add their topics for progress - and it does not really include a 'plastic' beetainer as that has yet to be proven as a progressive step (excepting the poly hives).

Regards, RAB

I have been browsing the old beekeeping books that have been scanned and archived at http://www.archive.org/details/texts (just type "beekeeping" or "honey bee" into the search box - loads of interesting stuff there)

One striking difference I noted is that modern bee books do not recommend the use of potassium cyanide for killing off a diseased colony! (The cyanide recommendation came from the Ministry of Agriculture and Fisheries Collected Leaflets on Beekeeping, 1922, amongst others) I guess it might add a nice "almond" flavour to the honey ;)

Paul

I must admit I have bought old books and new books - and learnt something from every single one; and books do have a lovely smell don't they? Just wish my other half and FinL understood my need for books. As far as they are concerned if I have 1 bee book it should be enough...NEVER!!!!

Nit picking time.... JG Digges' Book was actually written in 1904 - 1941 was probably about the twelth edition!! ;)

RAB you're correct with the comments about "modern" bee keeping issues and those are matters about which it is easy to get an update. Digges remains one of the more relevant books for bee keeping in Ireland and I am glad my mentor loaned me one of his copies to read. It prompted me to get my own copy to re-read and to follow on with reading Langstroff's book and a few other old titles. I have to concur that the older bee keeping books are very good on bee keeping methods and I have probably gained more from reading them than some more recent publications.
There was a reprint of Digges' book by (I think) the Federation of Irish Bee Keeping Associations as a centenial celebration of the book's release.

Although a range of editions, Abebooks has 81 sellers with a copy, of which the cheapest is £4.

It seems to be back in print in the "print on demand" format.

Adam

I must admit I have bought old books and new books - and learnt something from every single one; and books do have a lovely smell don't they? Just wish my other half and FinL understood my need for books. As far as they are concerned if I have 1 bee book it should be enough...NEVER!!!!

I also have one or two(cough cough) old bee books.
The ones that smell really strong I put in a plastic container with a tablespoon of dry soda bic for a couple of days and the smell goes.

Latest posts

Back