Eating before an inspection

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kjet2

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hello all and thanks for all of the education that this forum provides. A quick question: I've read here that bees get wound up if the person inspecting has eaten a banana or pear drops. I was curious to see what other foods (or even scents) one should avoid prior to an inspection.

Thank you in advance

Hello all and thanks for all of the education that this forum provides. A quick question: I've read here that bees get wound up if the person inspecting has eaten a banana or pear drops. I was curious to see what other foods (or even scents) one should avoid prior to an inspection.

Thank you in advance
There are several threads on this, cordisyl toothpaste brought a bees to the face reaction for me!

I eat a banana most mornings for breakfast and use Corsodyl toothpaste. Not seen any effect on bees behaviour.(Although mine are very placid).
Bees tend not to like Gin on your breath - even after 12 hours. Or so I find (or is it the hangover?)

Nor have I seen any reaction to Kormas or mild curries . As I don't eat vindaloos, can't help on them..

As I cull any horrible bees, perhaps I have raised a strain of banana and Corsodyl resistant bees who prefer their gin first hand? :alien:

Just only blow on bees, you see what happens.
Or you go over the wind and your human aroma goes into the hive.

What I have done several times, I have changed in the middle of inspection the blue shirt to white one.

Finman, I heard that in the 1970s it was standard advice not to wear blue round bees, it made them angry.

This advice seems forgotten now. I looked into the dyes used for blue jeans, I wondered if they fluoresced in ultraviolet, but it has been indigo (the chemical, indigo) for many years - the colour has not changed since maybe 1950.

Can you tell us more about what colours bees like / dislike?

Finman, I heard that in the 1970s it was standard advice not to wear blue round bees, it made them angry.

This advice seems forgotten now. I looked into the dyes used for blue jeans, I wondered if they fluoresced in ultraviolet, but it has been indigo (the chemical, indigo) for many years - the colour has not changed since maybe 1950.

Can you tell us more about what colours bees like / dislike?
It was once normal to use blue tiles in butchers' shops on the basis that flies did not like blue but the 'logic' there was that they avoided the colour.

My bees went crazy 2 weeks ago I took 10 stings through my suit and my wife pulled 81 stings out of the suit. I had been eating pear drops

Heavens can you still get pear drops?
Ohh ...there's a whole raft of trendy backward looking old fashioned sweet shops down here selling everything from pear drops to rhubarb and custard boiled sweets weighed out from the jars (except these days they are plastic jars not glass ones and you can't buy 2 ounces ... it's got to be grams). You can even buy black jacks, sherbert dabs, liquorice bootlaces, liquorice torpedos, dolly mixtures and aniseed balls and virtually anything that you used to see in the corner shops when you were a kid ... All I would hasten to add at rather extortionate prices .... I suspect some of them will have websites and on line ordering as well ...

Here you go ...

https://www.hilbornessweets.co.uk/product-page/large-pear-drops

Ohh ...there's a whole raft of trendy backward looking old fashioned sweet shops down here selling everything from pear drops to rhubarb and custard boiled sweets weighed out from the jars (except these days they are plastic jars not glass ones and you can't buy 2 ounces ... it's got to be grams). You can even buy black jacks, sherbert dabs, liquorice bootlaces, liquorice torpedos, dolly mixtures and aniseed balls and virtually anything that you used to see in the corner shops when you were a kid ... All I would hasten to add at rather extortionate prices .... I suspect some of them will have websites and on line ordering as well ...

Here you go ...

I’m amazed. I have been out of touch 😆

I’m amazed. I have been out of touch 😆
Yep ... back in fashion - all those sugary temptations that kept the dentists fully occupied in my youth and who now spend most of their time polishing and scaling rather than filling and pulling teeth out ....

Yep ... back in fashion - all those sugary temptations that kept the dentists fully occupied in my youth and who now spend most of their time polishing and scaling rather than filling and pulling teeth out ....
No wonder the bees are revolting 😁

Here you go ...

2kg of globe gobstoppers sounds good value for £1.99 -can't be right, shirley?

No mention of actual roots of liquorice we used to buy and chew. Late 1940s. Anyone remember them?

2kg of globe gobstoppers sounds good value for £1.99 -can't be right, shirley?

No mention of actual roots of liquorice we used to buy and chew. Late 1940s. Anyone remember them?
Yes I remember liquorice roots ... brown sticks that tasted of ... liqourice - you had to chew them forever ... I preferred the black processed stuff we used to call Spanish in Yorkshire. For a couple of years in my school summer holidays I worked at Bassets Liquourice Allsorts factory in Owlerton, Sheffield - at the end of it I thought I would never touch another piece of liquorice or liquorice allsort. You wer allowed to eat as much as you liked whilst at work - as long as you did not put in in your pocket or try and steal it. Most people tired of eating it after a few days ....

You can still buy Liquorice root:

https://www.buywholefoodsonline.co.uk/liquorice-root-125g.html

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back