Eat more honey

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Having read all that (and there's a LOT of truth in everything he says) I'm afraid it's just a long winded way to sell you an ebook telling you something that, as a beekeeper, you already know ....

Home produced honey IS VERY GOOD FOR YOU ...

But .. of course ... there's no scientific basis for this so it can't be right ... can it ?

Bit like dowsing ????

The " healthy" part of bee food is in pollen . Nectar and honey have energy.

A wasp eates insects and use nectar and Sugar as energy source

Having read all that (and there's a LOT of truth in everything he says) I'm afraid it's just a long winded way to sell you an ebook telling you something that, as a beekeeper, you already know ....

Home produced honey IS VERY GOOD FOR YOU ...

But .. of course ... there's no scientific basis for this so it can't be right ... can it ?

Bit like dowsing ????

Age reversal! Lot of truth in everything he says, I don't think so. Truths selectively portrayed and stretched to their limits. Like "concentrated" nutrients. Yes compared to the original 'nectar' concentration, but that's all. Coughs can go in a couple of days anyway....no proof the honey did it of course. (not saying that it won't help in some circumstances. )Anti-cancer....may help in SOME circumstances but not all.
Seen these 'benevolent doctors' a few times on the net. Tend to push the legal limits of advertising IMHO. They portray themselves as medical 'messiah's but with a price tag. The item should be viewed for what it is, a simple business.
That reminds me, I wonder if MCB has any stones left?:)

Bit like dowsing ????

Seems you are fishing and i'm rising.....
Unlike dowsing for which there is no scientific evidence other than exposure of a load of deluded frauds. There is loads of scientific data on honey. Google wound healing and honey for one (of many examples) or google natural honey consumption in diabetic patients. I could go on but that should convince you....or in your case probably not :)

Seems you are fishing and i'm rising.....
Unlike dowsing for which there is no scientific evidence other than exposure of a load of deluded frauds. There is loads of scientific data on honey. Google wound healing and honey for one (of many examples) or google natural honey consumption in diabetic patients. I could go on but that should convince you....or in your case probably not :)

My grandfather was shot through the hand in the first world war .. it went septic and septicemia set in - they thought he had had it .. was treated with a honey poultice and it healed up ..

I take a spoonful of my honey every morning.... been the best year ever for my hay fever (I usually wake up sneezing with eyes that I can barely open) - very limited symptoms this year.

One forum member is selling honey to a pharmaceutical organisation and it is being used in the NHS ... can't remember who it is .. there was a thread earlier this year.

One of my friends suffers very acutely from arthritis .. takes tincture of propolis for it - reckons that whenever he stops taking it he can barely move his fingers ...

But... there's precious little scientific evidence for any of the above .. so, as I said previously, you don't always have to know why !

So ... for once we are in agreement ... HONEY IS GOOD FOR YOU. And ley line crossings are certainly good for my bees .... If you feel like trying it out you may be surprised and find you are natural dowser ?

http://www.earthclinic.com/cures/blood_poisoning.html

Last edited:
My grandfather was shot through the hand in the first world war .. it went septic and septicemia set in - they thought he had had it .. was treated with a honey poultice and it healed up ..

I take a spoonful of my honey every morning.... been the best year ever for my hay fever (I usually wake up sneezing with eyes that I can barely open) - very limited symptoms this year.
Most people have had little hayfever this year due to cold weather, pollen counts have been very low. Why do you think honey hasn't worked in previous years?
Honey and septicemia is well known scientifically. So I'm very surprised you think there is precious little scientific evidence there is lots (hayfever excepted). There is also the placebo effect to take into consideration where basically if you convince yourself that something is doing you good it does (even if it doesn't do anything).
Unlike the divining where they are still waiting for someone to win a million dollars....a sum not to be sneezed at :)

Most people have had little hayfever this year due to cold weather, pollen counts have been very low. Why do you think honey hasn't worked in previous years?
Honey and septicemia is well known scientifically. So I'm very surprised you think there is precious little scientific evidence there is lots (hayfever excepted). There is also the placebo effect to take into consideration where basically if you convince yourself that something is doing you good it does (even if it doesn't do anything).
Unlike the divining where they are still waiting for someone to win a million dollars....a sum not to be sneezed at :)

I haven't taken honey for my hay fever in previous years .. I usually rely on Loratadine to get me through ... As it was honey from my bees last year - so very local - I thought I would give it a try. I suffer most from tree pollen - particularly horse chestnuts .. and live alongside a road lined with them !

It's made a big difference .. so placebo or not ... worked for me.

But ... what I was saying was that the science behind why honey is so universally beneficial is largely unexplained.... perhaps some day someone will be able to explain it ... in the meantime, as far as I'm concerned, it remains in the same category as ley lines ... it works so be grateful ! I don't need to know why .....

, as far as I'm concerned, it remains in the same category as ley lines ... it works so be grateful ! I don't need to know why .....

Ley lines don't exist, honey does.... using that logic I'll leave you to remember that it was a very low pollen year and yet you think the honey did the trick?
Whatever works for you.

Ley lines don't exist, honey does.... using that logic I'll leave you to remember that it was a very low pollen year and yet you think the honey did the trick?
Whatever works for you.

Oddly enough ... My wife, who is also a hay fever sufferer and has asthma to boot .. but dislikes just spooning honey ... has suffered badly this year - her eyes have been really bad despite daily doses of various antihistamines ... but not the daily dose of honey.

At the various events I've attended (selling honey and chatting to Joe Public) I've lost count of the number of people who have told me that local honey aids the relief of their hay fever ... I remain unconvinced by your argument that we are all being duped into a placebo effect !

So ... there's more than can ever be explained ... ?

Last edited:
Nope everything can be explained, just not everything has an explanation, yet.
And your sample size is far too small to make ANY assumptions from.

Well .. I'd best ask a few more then ...

Anyone else take honey for their hay fever or know of anyone who does ? PM to Thymallus then or a post on here !

Whilst we are waiting on the flood of e-mails/posts you might pass the time reading some of the current literature on honey and hay fever. It's quite interesting.
The baseline study concludes that it has no effect. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11868925
However there are a couple of studies that show that pollen, particularly birch, may inhibit mast cells and hence lessen hay fever.
http://www.researchgate.net/publica..._Mast_Cell_Degranulation_In_Vivo_and_In_Vitro

No link but the title says it all. Saarinen K, Jantunen J, Haahtela T. (2011). Birch pollen honey for birch pollen allergy--a randomized controlled pilot study. Int Arch Allergy Immunol., 155(2), 160-6.

See there are always explanations, sometimes not what you expect. Jury is still out. But it helps sell honey so who am I to disillusion my customers

Pargyle, good idea, but you do not have honey what to sell. Shall I sent to you 1000 kg?

Last edited:
Well .. I'd best ask a few more then ...

Anyone else take honey for their hay fever or know of anyone who does ? PM to Thymallus then or a post on here !

Mad idea.

Those hay fever plants are wind pollinating. Honey plants do not make hay fever .

Latest posts

Back