Easy come £££ easy go

Beekeeping Forum

Help Support Beekeeping Forum:

mikethebee 

Banned
Reaction score
Hive Type
none
I would like to know WHAT the 10 Millon pound Goverment hand out has been spent on?
Any body-know????
The BBKA HAS been at the heart of advising the funding?

The Scottish commercial bee farmer affected with AFB, and had to destroy 150 hives Will he be helped out??
Or has it be spent on BBKA qwangos??:confused:

Hebeegeebee 

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
12 on a good day, often more..
it would certainly be good to know how the money is being carved up. Its our (taxpayers) money after all.
With the high salaries all these quango bods get paid (and I'm not implying the BBKA) most of the money will probably get spent lubricating meeting rooms around the country and scientists will get very little. OR am I being a bit cynical?

ribblesbees 

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
1 + 20 or so solitary bees' nests
would it not be able to put in a freedom of information request to find out how
Sounds a good idea. After all I'm not sure how it could be against the interests of national security (a common reason to refuse) or against/detrimental to a living person.

bee-smillie

taff.. 

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
I didn't think the BBKA were getting a penny of it although they have, by all accounts, been campaigning for the money to be made available

The initiative to make funding available to researchers also involves the Biotechnology and Biological Science Research Council (BBSRC), the Natural Environment Research Council (Nerc), the Wellcome Trust and the Scottish Government
full article here.

and here's another article laying out where £2M will be spent

http://www.sussex.ac.uk/newsandevents/?id=1290

http://www.sussex.ac.uk/research/researchgroups/lasi/

Brosville 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
tbh
Number of Hives
There was a piece on Ratnieks in the Saturday Torygraph last week, according to him, pesticides categorically have no part in the problems being suffered by beekind - what a great surprise that it's his department that'll be getting £2 million of our money not to look in certain directions....... (me, cynical?)

Hombre 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Ten
I don't suppose that the Meteorological Office will be putting their head too far above the parapet. After all they can only try their best to forecast it, not to control it. Now there is a research program. Oh, forgot there is a research program for that already - HAARP. Umbrellas and tin-foil hat time folks!

Latest posts