Easy, Cheap, Solar Wax Melter

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GingerNut

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I was shopping in ASDA and...................

I bought two clear plastic storage boxes with lids............£10ish

One fits tight in other

Cut slot in end of small one

Put small inside large angled down towards slot

Put wax in small one

Put lid on

Put in garden

5 minutes max.....................bargain :)

shame the sun is not out :(

Yours Roy

Let us know if it works:.) I thought you needed a glass window or similar, pref double glazed.

Ok for refining bits of brace comb but will it hold a standard frame?

John Wilkinson

Ok for refining bits of brace comb but will it hold a standard frame?

John Wilkinson

If you cut one lug off :)

They do different size boxes, so I'm sure you can find a combination that they will fit. They have boxes big enough for 14 x 12...........

You can see from the picture that I have made a major alteration...............standing one end on a brick :)

Yours Roy

British ingenuity, you can't beat it. Thanks for the suggestion and putting a smile on my face.

Have to sign off now, just popping down to Asda :hat:

Last edited:
If you cut one lug off

Well, it looks like one ought to fit across the diagonal?

400 long, about 300 wide would give ~500 hypotenuse? Maybe not fit the inner one very well as you will need more than 350?

Regards, RAB

Ok so love the idea of solar etc, please excuse my ignorance as I havent had to melt down much wax yet!

Presume everyone looks at these ideas to keep costs down? Basically what I am getting at is that I live in rented accomodation which has an aga, presume there is not reason that I can not melt wax on that? Only asking as no one seems to mention melting on stoves etc.

Ok so love the idea of solar etc, please excuse my ignorance as I havent had to melt down much wax yet!

Presume everyone looks at these ideas to keep costs down? Basically what I am getting at is that I live in rented accomodation which has an aga, presume there is not reason that I can not melt wax on that? Only asking as no one seems to mention melting on stoves etc.

I do mine in my electric fan oven, no probs, just keep the heat down cos wax scorches really easily.

Yours Roy

Im no save the earth person :p
I use this

ALIM0013.jpg

John Wilkinson

I have the smaller version. Don't use it very often and make sure it is the cheap rate electric.

Regards, RAB

What a toaster John the frames pop out all clean and lovely.

:D:D:D:D:D
Also they have to be at least as small as a standard loaf!!

John Wilkinson

What a good idea. I have made a few adaptations to various things myself, OMF's for one, but this look good - subject to weather. The question is, does it separate the honey from the wax? That is what I would like to do. If that is the intention, or a spin off, how about enlarging the slit in the inner box or even making several slits, lining the inner box with fine nylon cutaining and letting it strain the honey off leaving the wax behind. I already use ultra fine nylon for straining honey anyway as it removes the stuff my new stainless steel double strainer lets through. Comments please in case I am wide of the mark. Thanx.

Maybe you would have obtained a better result if you had taken it down Southsea to the Beach.
I may leave mine in the back of the car. Everything melts in there!!

some guy invented something called the Kyoto Oven.. basically made from two cardboard boxes and a see through plastic cover.. that can boild water using the heat of the sun.. I think someone mentioned it on the forum before.. might make a good solar wax melter..

here is a link about it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kyoto_box

Rob

Only asking as no one seems to mention melting on stoves etc.

i used to use a old sauce pan and empty beer cans, cut the tops of the cans using can opener, wash out and pour in the wax.once cold peal the metal back like a orange, cut the cr*p off the bottom of the wax, bingo :coolgleamA:

Latest posts

Back