East Midlands site for homeless beekeeper

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goldenvale

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hello,

This is my first post on the forum and thanks for having me. I know very little about bees BUT would like to help them in their current plight. I have managed to persuade a local University to be receptive to the idea of giving over some land to start a small apiary on an experimental basis. There is no in-house expertise as such, and we are seeking out one or more experienced and trustworthy local beekeepers who would supply their own equipment/hives/colonies etc. I live in Long Whatton in North West Leicestershire (Le12 5DJ) and would be grateful for any contacts/suggestions. I would be particularly interested in communicating with site members 'Merlin' and the Castle Donington-based beekeeper.
Many thanks, Murphy.

Wonderful idea, Murphy!

I'm a long way from you, but I wish your scheme well.

I am working up a project on the roof of Manchester Cathedral.
Great views; terrible access; tons of support and goodwill.

Dusty

What a great idea, I am also too far away and quite new to bees. Good luck, I'm sure someone here will be able to help? Have you approached your local BKA?

Thanks to those who replied with encouragement; also the pms who offered to take things to the next stage. How exciting! Must say, you beekeepers are a friendly bunch - all that honey must be sweetening you up.

Hi there I'm a new bee too. I'm in Kettering not to far from you and will start my first hives in the spring. I have been told to get the book "bees at the bottom of the garden" as it could be the only book you'll pritty much need. I'm looking to join the Northamptonshire Bee Keepers Association over Christmas and do the beginers cause in January. I suggest you do the same so you have a good start and you'll meet people who know exactly what they are talking about. Who know they might even help you get set up if it's for the uni in general! Well good luck and I hope it all works out for you. Chris

Try Kyle - Woodhouse Eaves honey is his website. He offered me good advice when we first set up, not sure if he is on the forum

Hi Goldenvale - I've just moved from Long Whatton (West end) and know of a couple of people there who keep bees.
If you are looking for an apiary - try asking Graham Matravers (manorfarm organic) about the Community Supported Agriculture project he is helping to start in the village. I reckon he would be well up for an apiary in the corner of a plot of land

Latest posts

Back