earwigs.......

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mark s

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
16 + 3nuc's
hi all
well we have beaten the wasps and fended of some hornets and we have also seen off some ants,now ive got a problem with earwigs.
was just in the garden and decide to look in on the girls and the hive entrance was crawling with the feckers on the floor and at the hive entrance,squished as many as i could but several went into the hive,should i be worried if so how do you get rid of these things
thanx

Last edited:
You could dunk your hive stand legs in a suitable liquid, across which the earwigs could not swim, and make sure they cannot arrive from above. They would not then arrive and you only have the present interlopers to deal with.

Regards, RAB

thanx pete and rab
im thinking maybe coat the legs in some axle grease or the like

Maybe think a little more environmental - stand the legs in a receptacle and recover the liquid, whatever it is, later. Or some rings of very shiny plastic buried in the soil to prevent the little b------s getting underneath, and vertical so they can't climb up it?

Ymmv, but I would not want axle grease on anything I may want to move around.

Regards, RAB

I tried the 'Grease on the legs' thing.
I put some very sticky tape on the legs - the same stuff I put on my Fruit Trees.
It kept the ants and other bugs out, but also caused a problem for some of the Bees.

Whatever the little loves manage to walk across they will be bringing into the Hive.
Not much call for Axle Grease Honey :)

Latest posts

Back