Earwigs, anyone?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

planbee

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Two
My hives and nucs are overrun by Earwigs!

I don't think I've ever seen so many, in my life.

They are inside roofs, and all the usual places, but there's also a couple of hundred, on top of brood box frames.

Do they do any harm inside a hive?

John

We have one hive out of 6 that has a few but the others are clear.

Thats a rather large number - get a blowtorch to them.

Blowtorch earwigs on the top bars in an occupied hive?

Now there's a challenge.

PH

maybe you could vacuum them up with a cheapo 12v car vac ?

I hate the bloody things, but do I take it that as the advice is to "get rid", that they are harmful to bee's or the hive/contents?

John

at the moment that is all my wasp traps are catching,hundreds of the little blighters:)oh and i have for wasps now as well;);)

I seem to get some in my hive too; I was going to try and paint some of that non-drying paint to the legs of the stand to see if that stopped them being able to climb up and into the hive... they only seem to be in the roof though...

I have seen a remedy for earwigs used on WBC hives with 4 legs in an old beekkeeping book. Each leg sat in in the base of a cut off soft drinks bottle and used engine oil poured into the soft drinks base. No earwigs able to get in!

interesting idea... although when it rains (which is normal at the moment!) the engine oil will overflow!?! (if i understand correctly!?!)

I don't have many earwigs, but one of my hives is plagued with red ants. They crawl all over the hive and can fit through the vents in the roof. I normally sweep about 50 off the roof before opening the hive.

I am glad to say I have not seen any inside though...

I like the idea of the paint. Any idea what it is called?

interesting idea... although when it rains (which is normal at the moment!) the engine oil will overflow!?! (if i understand correctly!?!)

Yes. You'd have to make a skirt / overhang higher up the stand to keep the rain out. BTW it doesn't have to be used engine oil, light paraffin or cooking oil will do -- just something that won't evaporate and they can't walk over.

I don't have many earwigs, but one of my hives is plagued with red ants. They crawl all over the hive and can fit through the vents in the roof. I normally sweep about 50 off the roof before opening the hive.

I am glad to say I have not seen any inside though...

I like the idea of the paint. Any idea what it is called?

Look for anti-climb paint

If anti-climb paint is good at sticking up earwigs etc, then watch out when you shake bees out onto the grass, or whatever, in front of your hive. :toetap05:

Trap earwigs by placing upturned flower pots loosely stuffed with hay or straw.
Every morning shake out the pots and remove the earwigs.
Also useful way of monitoring their numbers.

Trap earwigs by placing upturned flower pots loosely stuffed with hay or straw.
Every morning shake out the pots and remove the earwigs.
Also useful way of monitoring their numbers.

This would get my vote as my bees (who don't always remember what bees are supposed to do and how to do it it seems) can be seen walking to the hive and climbing up to the entrance, especially when its fine and sunny. Also a few of them seem to sun themselves by taking a walk all over the hive upwards and downwards.

bee-smillie

Latest posts

Back