Early pollen sources

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MJBee

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
16 a mix of Commercial, National, 14 x 12, Dadant and a Warre
Snowdrops are beginning to fade, but the crocus are in full bloom and an unexpected source - Camelia, just coming into bloom and the bees love it, lots of bright yellow pollen - 3 bees working side by side quite happily:):). Hazel just about finished.

The willow buds are just showing a bit of silver so that will not be long.

Nice and warm today and with the hives in full sun had a quick peek under the crown boards - of the 6 + a Nuc 3 are very strong 2 are medium and one is weak, the Nuc is covering 4 of 5 frames (commercial) all are wide awake and very alert - good job I suited up:)

lovely pics mbg, wish my area was so advanced!

my bees were only on the purple crocus, not on the yellow variety, yesterday.

Stunning pics, I am jealous, not just at the pics but at how far on you are, here we are fully a month behind on last year.

PH

a snap taken yesterdayhttp://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=1446&stc=1&d=1267822891

Two problems here.

Bees not flying and crocus not yet out!

PH

1000's of crocus out here (well those that our 2 yr old hasn't picked anyway) Funny thing is I have looked at the hives every day for the last few days to try and spot pollen....and none appears to be coming in, although I have seen bees on the crocus...and all hives flying very strongly by mid afternoon.

Maybe just looking for water ?

Our Portsmouth Bees are bringing in lots of pollen at the moment.
A good mix as well
Some white, and some yellow.

Still lots of cold weather ahead though,
and I have warned them, but they dont listen!

I've seen pollen from Crocus and Hazel coming in but what is the sludgy brown pollen I saw this week? Any ideas?

(Just joined forum, new to t'internet forums but not beekeeping.)
C

I have just arranged

- 70 kg dry yeast
- 25 hamilton HP 100 soya
- 20 kg irradiated pollen

willow flowers after two months.

Eat the soya and give the pollen to the bees while your yeast brews lots of beer to while away your summer.:).

Welcome to the forum, Cazza. are you a member of the waveney valley mob?

Hi Tony, thanks for the welcome.
Not a Waveney Valley Mobster ( you make them sound like Hells Angels!), just a bit far away for me. I'd be closer to the Stowmarket chapter.
C

Latest posts

Back