Early Honey extraction

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aggravated

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
My colonies are exploding with bee's, and I am having trouble keeping up with the equipment I need, more supers, more frames, more brood boxes, more stands, more more more of everything.

I am thinking of taking some of the honey now, then putting back the empty frames for the bee's to clean. Would this be too early?

My colonies are exploding with bee's, and I am having trouble keeping up with the equipment I need, more supers, more frames, more brood boxes, more stands, more more more of everything.

I am thinking of taking some of the honey now, then putting back the empty frames for the bee's to clean. Would this be too early?

Hi,

If its ready to come off then take it off and place the wet supers back on the hives. Capped frames are ready, uncapped frames which pass the 'shake test' in the field can be extracted too. You can test with refractometer once home if you have one. :)
I have already extracted my first 80lb of the year and placed the wet supers back on the hives for the bees to clean/use the residue. The OSR honey in mine had already begun the set too so didn't quite get it all out...... :hairpull:

Yes, I've just done the same, c90-100 pounds -- best year by far and earlier than before. Mostly OSR and starting to crystalise -- I took the view it's better to get it off now before it gets too solid and also for exactly the reason you suggest -- to avoid having to use too much equipment (3 supers on top on one of the hives was just too heavy to lift). I don't have a refractometer but did the 'shake test' and it's always worked before. I left some on if it looked anyway near not ready and take the view it's important to leave sufficient for the colony anyway.

Yes, I've just done the same, c90-100 pounds -- best year by far and earlier than before. Mostly OSR and starting to crystalise -- I took the view it's better to get it off now before it gets too solid and also for exactly the reason you suggest -- to avoid having to use too much equipment (3 supers on top on one of the hives was just too heavy to lift). I don't have a refractometer but did the 'shake test' and it's always worked before. I left some on if it looked anyway near not ready and take the view it's important to leave sufficient for the colony anyway.

250 pound up to now.. supers full to bursting but everytime I look and do the shake test it is running out like water.. looks like im gonna wait till the osr has done then take it off. then to the borage

Aggravated

If the frames are totally sealed comb no problem, Take it off frame by frame... if partially sealed do the shake test - scrape the comb from the rib into a cone strainer and return to the hive.

Where are you? I'm SW12 and as I recall mine are not doing as well as the last couple of years.

richard

and strain t

Latest posts

Back