Dysentry?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Polyanwood

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Bees very busy today. At end of day on one of colonies that has tested negative for Nosema there was bee faeces on the front of the hive. How much would mean dysentry? Should I be doing something? I thought about wiping it off with a soapy bleachy cloth because it will be germy.
(obviously will not use same cloth as one used to wipe kitchen table as still haven't lived down using the pestle and mortar to grind up bees for the Nosema test.

Hello p&w, don't know if this is any help, but this is what dyssentry looks like. Note the streaks as opposed to *dots*. This was caused by stress. No nosema.

Yep, I had that - some bright spark who said they knew about bees told me to close up the hive over the winter, nearly lost the whole colony over it. One bright day in December I checked the hive to make sure all was well. Far from it,:puke: it was on fire, I quickly opened the hive and around 10,000 bees poured out of the hive:ack2: and left behind what the photo is showing. Most of the bees died, but the colony is recovering quite well:). One needs to be carefull of bad advise:boxing_smiley:, thats why I have began a method of self education so as to avoid any repeats in what ever aspect of Bee Keeping.

Busy Bee

I agree with you Busy bee,you have to always remember that others are giving you only advice,not instructions.

Last year I asked what I should do about a problem on the other forum,After taking advice I rushed off to carry it out only to find when next logging in loads and loads of posts saying "never do that!!!"

Trouble is on forums all have parity.

Some know what they are doing and some are merely guessing.

And some really know. :Angel_anim:

PH

Thanks. There are some streaks, but on the outside, none on the inside. Thanks for advice. They are a small colony and seem to be workaholics compared to the other colonies...up at dawn and fly till dusk. That might be a bit stressful. A few streaks nothing to worry about then???

The phone on the camera might not show it. I'll try.

Are there bees on the front of the hive that seem unable to fly ?

No they seem OK Jean.

This is the mess they made in 2 days:

Latest posts

Back