Dusty mead

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Machonachos

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Just would like some clarity (lol) on this one please.

I have a gallon of light mead that I have already racked off twice and it has been resting for a good 5/6 months now in bottles. When I looked the other day I could see specs of white on the bottom of the bottles; not much maybe a 6/7 lumps half the size of a pea. If I agitate the bottle it is a dusty consistency

What are your thoughts on this? I’m thinking bottled too early and I’m seeing some further yeast/trub drop out.

Many thanks

Sounds about right... transfer it to other bottles if it bothers you. It really can take forever to clear.

I have some heather stuff I gave up on clearing in demijohns but now it has gelatinous deposits in the bottles!

Mead can be very odd stuff which is why some say to leave it for a couple of years before bottling.

PH

Mead can be very odd stuff which is why some say to leave it for a couple of years before bottling.

PH

Keep it in the bee shed and sample on a regular basis... ....... to see if it is ready yet......
But only when coming home from the apiary...... Do not drink and drive!

:welcome:

Keep it in the bee shed and sample on a regular basis... ....... to see if it is ready yet......
But only when coming home from the apiary...... Do not drink and drive!

:welcome:

You could try adding some more tablets pulverising the hell out of it then racking again , I've done that with wine before to get it clear.
One's story I've damson from 2009 it's like port now 22% and gives you the shits.... So don't take my advice . :icon_204-2::icon_204-2:

Awesome thanks for the replies. Glad to know I’m not doing anything terribly wrong. First batch so don’t know what to expect.

Thanks again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back