Dummy board Q

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wightbees

Queen Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
How long is a piece of string
just been thinking about these and there use over wintering bees.
Would it work if poly was used on the side not faceing the bees to help
keep the heat in? The bees would not chew it as it would be the wrong side of the dummy board.
it could help them small hives over the winter maybe.

You are likely to find that the bees will leave it alone over winter and eat it in the spring.

My experience was with two layers of 2in polystyrene in the roof; one with a rectangular hole for fondant. All was well until the weather warmed a bit and they decided to expand their domain.

You are likely to find that the bees will leave it alone over winter and eat it in the spring.

My experience was with two layers of 2in polystyrene in the roof; one with a rectangular hole for fondant. All was well until the weather warmed a bit and they decided to expand their domain.

yes i use same 4" in total in a super over crown board but i place fondant direct on frames...roll out nectapoll in a slashed poly bag to 5mm thick and place over brood

just been thinking about these and there use over wintering bees.
Would it work if poly was used on the side not faceing the bees to help
keep the heat in? The bees would not chew it as it would be the wrong side of the dummy board.
it could help them small hives over the winter maybe.

It is summer now and you have time to get real beehives before winter.
Your nucs need dummy board now.

Last edited:
Ok thats everyone. I am not using a dummy board at pressent but was just thinking aloud, in case i needed to in the future and thought this poly may help.
cheers all :)

I've used them stuck to plywood as the l/s needs wider boards than the national.

I taped the edges with duck tape so they can't eat it.

works ok but I made the top bar wide when in facts it's better narrow.

4-5 frame poly nuc is handy and much more profitable than normal box with dummy board.
It is easy to split a poly box with table saw and glue the missing wall. Brooding is spleded in polynucs.

Latest posts

Back