Dummy Board for Brood and a half?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ENZO

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hello Everyone,
I hope someone could give me some advise, this may seem a simple question and I think I know the obvious answer but I would like some cofirmation before I make all these parts.

I am changing my brood frames to Hoffman from the standard DN1, the thing is that I will be using 11 frames and a dummy board, But some of my colonies are on brood and a half, I got some hoffman frames for the 1/2supers so do I still use 11 frames and a super Dummy board?

I thought I would ask before I made up a dozen super Dummy Frames.

Does it really matter if the upper brood box or 1/2 super frames do not align up with the lower brood box in a double brood box system, I found myself at times using 10 space castellated super above an 11 frame brood box in a brood and a half system, and the bees did not seem to mind.

Many Thanks, Enzo

I suspect the frames on castellations will be spaced too far apart for brood. I am sure it will still work but if you put frames of foundation in you may get comb built in the wrong place.

Hello Everyone,
I hope someone could give me some advise, this may seem a simple question and I think I know the obvious answer but I would like some cofirmation before I make all these parts.

I am changing my brood frames to Hoffman from the standard DN1, the thing is that I will be using 11 frames and a dummy board, But some of my colonies are on brood and a half, I got some hoffman frames for the 1/2supers so do I still use 11 frames and a super Dummy board?

I thought I would ask before I made up a dozen super Dummy Frames.

Does it really matter if the upper brood box or 1/2 super frames do not align up with the lower brood box in a double brood box system, I found myself at times using 10 space castellated super above an 11 frame brood box in a brood and a half system, and the bees did not seem to mind.

Many Thanks, Enzo

in brood and a half i've seem 14x12 dummy boards used, there is about 60cm too short but why not make your own,,,a piece of 18 mm ply screwed to an old top bar

10 space super and 11 space brood causes you problems if treating with oxalic acid and sugering.

ENZo

i see you are hedging your bets which the same question of "the other side's forum" :) i wonder what replys you will get , if any reply, from the "dark Side"

i always found the dark side forum tends to torch beginers rather than answer their questions

MM

Last edited:
Hi, Thanks for the replies, Until very recently I had no idea that this site existed, may sound stupid but true, I was quite happy with the "other" site and followed it quite closely, but I must say that this site is GOOD and quite a bit larger, in saying that I can't knock the "other" site because it has been good to me.

Many Thanks, Enzo

Hi, Thanks for the replies, Until very recently I had no idea that this site existed, may sound stupid but true, I was quite happy with the "other" site and followed it quite closely, but I must say that this site is GOOD and quite a bit larger, in saying that I can't knock the "other" site because it has been good to me.

Many Thanks, Enzo

no problem Enzo, i was just having fun, i have never run brood and a half, as i have 14x12s but your question was very pertinant as i as i might need to in future

i always found the dark side forum tends to torch beginers rather than answer their questions

There was one individual who was usually very helpful but sometimes critical of beginners, and the Moderators finally lost patience with him a couple of months back. He's history.

So you'll find many of us in both places, being as helpful as we can ...

G.

. . . Until very recently I had no idea that this site existed, may sound stupid but true,
Hi Enzo, with a join date of March 2009, I guess that time travels at a slightly differing velocity in your neck of the woods.

You are perfectly right of course . . . :)

But we love you none-the-less for it. :grouphug:

Latest posts

Back