Duke of Edinburgh Award

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MartinL

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Has anyone heard of beekeeping for your D of E ?

Two kids in my village want to do beekeeping as their hobby/interest for their Gold Award,
Think they might be cheating if it's not already their hobby,:redface: but,
if the go on to take it up??:confused:??

Thought I'd start by getting them to help me with making up some frames and boxes for next year, :smash::smash::smash:then they can look after their own AS next year.
:nature-smiley-013:
What does everyone else think?

Think they might be cheating if it's not already their hobby

I reckon there are a lot of children out there that do not really have a hobby - unless watching TV or playing computer games counts! D of E likely gets a good number into a hobby for later years, but A levels, Uni and career all come in between.

Any encouragement helps, preferably on a regular basis.

RAB

"Think they might be cheating if it's not already their hobby"

come off it - most DoE people just do the necessary to get the tick on their CVs/UCAS forms. It's just Scouts for people who don't want the "paramilitary" emphasis but likewise can't swallow the left wing leanings of the woodcarft folk!

likewise everyone doing young enterprise don't already have to be mini-me alan sugars.

My 2 eldest kids are doing DofE at the moment (gold and bronze). They definitely need some structure to what they do i.e. it needs to be weekly for at least 6 months. That's easy in the summer with inspections to do, but at the moment they'd benefit from a classroom course, otherwise you're committed to an hour or so most weeks to teach/mentor/supervise them.

However, if you run out of your own kit to assemble give me a shout and I'll bring you a van load of mine :cool:

Two kids in my village want to do beekeeping as their hobby/interest for their Gold Award,
Think they might be cheating if it's not already their hobby,

Marvellous idea if you can give them consistent advice and mentoring. Well done,you!
As for the cheating bit, I wouldn't worry.
My daughter got her gold in lower sixth, I think. She and three friends pursued their sailing hobby right from from bronze to gold.

Any encouragement helps, preferably on a regular basis.

my thinking too. doing something is always better than the alternative.

If it gives them an appreciation of a subject which they might otherwise never get involved in (even if they never keep bees themselves) then it's worth your effort -assuming that in these strange times you know the families well enough to be sure that you're not going to become the subject of some nasty allegations, but that's another issue altogether.

It is many years since I had anything to do with Gold Award (20+) and then it was the expedition section. However the emphasis then was on doing something so starting a new activity wouldn't be "cheating".

THis page may help you decide if it makes sense for what you are doing.

http://www.dofe.org/en/content/cms/doing-your-dofe/activities-sections/skills/skills-requirements/

Sorry I forgot the algorithms make a mess of even useful URLs try this with the spaces removed.

http://www.dofe. org/en/content/ cms/doing-your-dofe/activities-sections/ skills/skills-requirements/"]http://www.dofe.org/en/content/cms/ doing-your-dofe/activities-sections/skills/skills-requirements/

There's a section under the Skills, "Care of Animals", section that refers to beekeeping. I don't think they'll mind if I quote it.
http://www.dofe.org/en/content/cms/doing-your-dofe/activities-sections/skills/care-of-animals/

Bee Keeping
  • Gain your British Bee Keeping Association Junior Certificate in Bee Keeping
  • Research the decline of the honey bee population and what can be done to help
  • Learn about traditional bee keeping in rural areas around the world
  • Attend a weekly bee keeping course and gain practical experience
Our experience of D of E is that if, for the skills section, they can either start something new or can continue with something they're already doing.

All they need to do for the Bronze is show/prove that they're making the effort to learn, and give proof of that learning and 'progress'. With a musical instrument it would be logging weekly lessons and taking/passing grade exams or, if they aren't don't learn quickly (or simply can't play very well, despite trying) they get a progress report from a tutor or assessor.

The tutor/trainer has to be available for as long as it takes, needs to be willing to sign documents and forms and, because the children will be under 18, will need CRB clearance - you'd need to check this with whoever is running the D of E course.

The tutor/trainer has to be available for as long as it takes, needs to be willing to sign documents and forms and, because the children will be under 18, will need CRB clearance - you'd need to check this with whoever is running the D of E course.[/QUOTE]

Understandable these days I suppose, but is this going to cost? :eek:
More importantly how much:confused:, I'm only a poor beekeeper you know!

Is this yet another hidden tax/cost for trying to do the right thing? :banghead:

Once registered, does this then mean my name pops up in internet searches and I'm inundated with spotty "potential beekeepers" all wanting to congregate in my quiet garden, trampling plants underfoot...........?

The tutor/trainer has to be available for as long as it takes, needs to be willing to sign documents and forms and, because the children will be under 18, will need CRB clearance - you'd need to check this with whoever is running the D of E course.

Understandable these days I suppose, but is this going to cost? :eek:
More importantly how much:confused:, I'm only a poor beekeeper you know!

The CRB check will cost somebody £26 approx I doubt that you will need the enhanced check at £44ish. You could try and see if there are any funds to help pay for it.
Is this yet another hidden tax/cost for trying to do the right thing? :banghead:

I am afraid I tend to agree on that it isn't the people who are likely to show up on a CRB check who are (to me ) the worry - it is the ones that aren't on the radar at all.

Once registered, does this then mean my name pops up in internet searches and I'm inundated with spotty "potential beekeepers" all wanting to congregate in my quiet garden, trampling plants underfoot...........?

From the days when I was an expedition assessor the county held my name centrally and it was a case of "we have a group needing an assessor can you take it?" the answer was either yes or no.

I doubt that there are going to be too many individuals local enough to you to cause a problem with bee keeping. Remember you can always say no!

EDIT: If you don't want to do it you can always say you can't as you don't have a CRB check, however they might take the wind out of your sails by offering to pay for it.

Last edited:
My students are signed up to do D of E. they work really hard to get this qualification, the trainers work hard to help them achieve, they work on a skill section and have to do this for between three and six months (gold is probably longer), physical rec, volunteering and expedition or exploration. And, to cap it all my students all have a learning or behavioural difficulty. They dont just tick the boxes, it would devalue what the Duke of Edinburghs Award was set up for.

P.s.
I can't see why beekeeping cannot be used as a skill.

The checks were brought in by the last government as a reaction to the Soham murders. If you do get it done then no, your name doesn't go onto any database of 'beekeepers who've had a CRB check' because the report is confidential, between you and the group/organisation that pays for it. You get to see what it says, which won't be very much. There's more about it here http://www. homeoffice. gov. uk/ agencies - public - bodies / crb/ there's far too much to paraphrase.

Does your local BKA have a Junior section? If so, why not point these young people in their direction, and perhaps also offer your services. The CRB check for voluntary organisations is £18, I'm sure the club (or maybe the D of E organisers?) would cover the costs. http://www. crbexpress .co.uk / crb -checks -for -voluntary -sector. aspx

My students ... work really hard to get this qualification, the trainers work hard to help them achieve, ... to cap it all my students all have a learning or behavioural difficulty. They dont just tick the boxes, it would devalue what the Duke of Edinburghs Award was set up for.
I think that's one point of the D of E that too many people forget. It's never handed out for just turning up and ticking a few boxes, it involves real personal effort and determination. A heck of a lot drop out of the Bronze when they realise what it involves.

It's not academic-based, so is suitable for all abilities provided they work hard, can prove they've made appropriate progress, suitable to their ability, then they win the award.

Does your local BKA have a Junior section? If so, why not point these young people in their direction, and perhaps also offer your services. [/QUOTE]

It was my BKA who suggested my participation due to us all being in the same village & BKA a good distance for the kids to travel. :driving:

MMMM Do I have to get all PC and call anyone under 21 a "young person":gnorsi:

This is looking more complicated than I thought:willy_nilly::willy_nilly::willy_nilly:

Will bury my head in the sand till 2012,
Merry Christmas Everyone! :grouphug:

My 14yo came back from his DofE Bronze meeting last night saying he'd put beekeeping on his list of possible choices: at least if he does choose it he can fill the gaps in his practical knowledge here.

I was underwhelmed at how few Junior certs were awarded last year...considering it does not require BBKA membership and the fee is refunded if successful. Our BKA had the highest pass-rate in the country at 6/ the 9 or 10 listed: due to one high school bee club and its leader:hurray:.

As for DrS's comments - a bit silly. D of E and Guides & Scouts have done a huge amount for our youngsters and are inclusive organisations. As just about everyone puts it on their personal statements that is not what sorts the pecking order for places at all. But, anything structured so as to have largely known risks that helps them work as a team with all sorts of people, develop skills and independence away from the Playstation is good surely?

"As for DrS's comments - a bit silly."

far from it - agreed all 3 organisations mentioned do great work and are inclusive.

However one cannot escape the political history of the organisations.

Scouting has Right wing, militaristic history; WCF the polar opposite. presume DofE sits in the centre (for non republicans!).

Scouts - Plan A
WCF - Plan B (see what i've done there)
DofE - ?

Think they might be cheating if it's not already their hobby,:redface: but,
if the go on to take it up??:confused:??

Thought I'd start by getting them to help me with making up some frames and boxes for next year, :smash::smash::smash:then they can look after their own AS next year.
:nature-smiley-013:
What does everyone else think?

This is how i started beekeeping 16+ years ago!

Latest posts

Back