drying seeds out

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hedgerow pete

Queen Bee
Reaction score
UK, Birmingham, Sandwell. Pork scratching Bandit c
Hive Type
National
as ever i have a large amount of collected flower heads to sift through over the winter , normal i use paper bags and the radiators but this year i am trying a light bulb inside a wooden box, i built it to heat /warm a honey bucket and i also use my egg incubator aswell, but dont forget to buy a small moisture gauge from fleabay so you know when they are down to below 20% moisture so they will not germinate or as i found you will end up with a bag of bean shoots rather than next years seeds

I suspect the heating might affect the viability of some of the seeds, but tell us how you get on next year. I thought the normal way with flowers was to hang then upside down so they dried naturally. If you heat them while they are still damp they might start to germinate. However, it is a difficult subject as some seeds like to be dry and there are even seeds which die if they are dried out. But don't ask me which is which. I usually keep seeds in a tupperware in the fridge.

I let seeds dry out naturally like RoofTops says.
Mostly I put them into the cover of cardboard box.
I have those to pack honey.

Small measures I put into paper envelope, what post carry me almost daily.

Last edited:
yep thats what they do at the nursery. chuck them in paper bags - If lucky with a label on them! Bags usually get forgotten for a couple of years! if the mice havent had them away they get shaken from their pods and sown, seem to come up great that way

Bit of confusion here Milkermel, I got a PM from HP thanking ME for a parcel which had arrived safely, but I didn't send it:) You obviously did.
:cheers2: Mike

oops sorry milkermel i sent it to the wrong beeks very sorry about that yes it did they are all planted up and awaiting for next years season, as for over heating they were to dry out in the greenhouse but it was just to humid for them so they are sat in the incubator set at 20 degrees untill i get the humidity down to below 15%, some of my seads are doing realy well the plants i left alone for my runner beans and french beans went mental i now have loads of them ready so did the cabbages but the carrots did not do to well neither did the tomatoes

Back