Drowned bees?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

POPZ

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Had some bad weather recently and decided to give my expanding nuc a feed in the evening in order to help draw out new foundation in the super above.

But the following morning there were loads of them drowned - thought maybe I had filled the feeder too much so left it on. The next morning same thing so I have hastily removed.

What is the reason for the drowning. They did not do that when I started the nuc and fed it for a few weeks with no problems.

Had some bad weather recently and decided to give my expanding nuc a feed in the evening in order to help draw out new foundation in the super above.

But the following morning there were loads of them drowned - thought maybe I had filled the feeder too much so left it on. The next morning same thing so I have hastily removed.

What is the reason for the drowning. They did not do that when I started the nuc and fed it for a few weeks with no problems.

You don't say what drowned them, I'm guessing it was the syrup in the feeder, but without knowing we can't reply.

Drowned in the rapid feeder. Syrup mixed at 1/1 water sugar.

Thank God for that!
I had a vision of the Mariana Trench running through your apiary.

Thank God for that!
I had a vision of the Mariana Trench running through your apiary.

I actually had to think myself on that one!! No trenches, rivers, lakes! But I find it very odd that they still managed to do it when feeder was half empty. And not just the odd one but at a guess about 50 each time.

I find that putting a few floating bits of twig in the feeder can help, inside the inverted cup if it is that type.

I actually had to think myself on that one!! No trenches, rivers, lakes! But I find it very odd that they still managed to do it when feeder was half empty. And not just the odd one but at a guess about 50 each time.

Just a thought, but are they really desperate for food and just pushed the others forwards :confused: maybe try a contact feeder.

Thats a good idea - but why is it happening now when before there was no problem at all. The only difference being an expansion of numbers in the colony. Surely they dont push each other off the centre bit?????

Latest posts

Back