Drought and Honey?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sunshinemedic

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
Anyone know what the much talked about drought will effect honey production?
I'm guessing that there will be less nectar and so less honey?

yep, we were in drought last year..we still are

many london beekeepers who normally get 40-60 lbs got nothing last year

i would say most were at 50% of normal in this drought ridden area on a survey carried out by my BKA

if you see my july aigust posts i was moaning about lack of forage and HM reducing laying early

Come to Wales, last year we could not string two days of sunshine together, I have never known a drought except the summer of 77, perhaps that's why everything is green and wet

In south Wales maybe ...... Move to mid Wales for the sunshine
xx

Come to Wales, last year we could not string two days of sunshine together, I have never known a drought except the summer of 77, perhaps that's why everything is green and wet

you mean winter of 75/76 summer of 76 never had more than 12 hours at home from april till september in 76 fighting fires because of the drought

It depends on soil, wind how long drought.

One week drought is needed that plants give high sugar content.

I cannot help with weathers but I avoid places which become dry easily
I do not put hives any more on dry soil areas like cliffs and sand. Even clay plateaus are often bad too. All is same.

- heather on cliffs - nothing
- Fireweed is a good bee plant but gives nothing on sand soil
- rape suffers from high temp and wind. Southern sunny slopes are not for me.
- Raspberry is very sensitive. It looses its buttons in dry soil
- forest areas where soil is thin over the basic gliffs

We had a warm and dry spring last year.

I took just 10 colonys to Rape. During late March, April and May they were only self sufficiant.

The remaining hives that stayed in the apiary did well. they took advantage of the plants that run along the streams near to the apiary and during these months scored about 60lb each during the same timescale.

Although I too am in a drought area, I don't think it will bother my honey production too much, as the local farmers have there own reservoirs that they use to keep their crops watered, which in turn keeps the hedge rows growing. Then I have the river Ivel (Himalayan Balsam) 200 yards from my house and its raining today….

I still have steams and brooks running down my fields here as well as a huge pond I just need the nectar flowers rather than sheeps grass lol even in mid wales though the ground is soft but not the normal boggy at this time of year. Why can they not plant rape here and all those nice crops rather than grass and more grass. But on a positive there are no other bee keepers in many miles of me so what there is, is all MINE lol

Latest posts

Back