Drones

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AMAE

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Went today to heft the hives in the sunshine. The Bees were very busy, working Ivy and dandelions, and the smell of the apiary was heady!

However was slightly concerned to see several drones popping in and out of the front of one of my hives, they were not obviously being harassed or anything.....should I worry and actually open up and check?

All thoughts welcome

Hope you've enjoyed the sunshine where you are today

AMAE

Why worry they will get kicked out when the time is right. I have some hives with very little drone and some have more.

It's been warm lately - both my colonies are fairly relaxed about the oncoming winter, I think, and haven't made any real effort to kick out the drones yet. There's still quite a few pottering around on the combs nearest the entrance, as usual.

The first hint of frost, and they'll be out - lets hope they're enjoying the Indian summer while they can!

Mine started kicking out a few this week - so I think they'll do it when they are ready...

Had quite a few drones out flying today from the 'Home Bees' colony No3.

Carnolian descent (assumed local drones)/first attempt at Queen grafting (queen stock, thanks Gandalfwhitewizard). A bit of a mongrel nation, but showing promise.

Drones TODAY

Just been to check on hives( Heft etc).

5x drones flying from one of my strongest colonies. (14x12)

what should I take from this?....possibly, my 2 year old queen has turned drone layer. or were they just strong enough to carry some drones through the winter.

FYI it's 6.5 degrees here just now and the sun is peeping thro'

all thoughts welcome...

AMAE

Both answers seem plausible to me.
I have one hive where there were still drones in January. I wouldn't be suprised if the queen was a dlq. I'm waiting to see what's what when I make my 1st inspection.
Cazza

Latest posts

Back