Drones?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

susbees

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
35ish
Last month there was a marked reduction in drones around here although most hives had reasonable stores and the one that didn't was actively slinging them out. Then the dearth of a couple of weeks back and all hives got a bit of syrup.

Today's checks on all hives - all have reasonable stores but not packed out - showed one hive with a few drones, three and a nuc with no obvious drones....and two hives with brood/capped brood in previously made drone cells. Does this smack of plans to supercede? Or is it that they feel a bit happier re stores and the weather? Or something else glaringly obvious I've overlooked.

All hives have brood though some better than others and are Q+ (or were this morning!).

Question is did these two hives eject all their drones earlier or have they had drone brood in small amounts all the way along?

It is only September and this time last year I remember several on the forum forecasting gloom re the season end, while I was seeing lots of drone brood in my colonies.

Agreed, not so good this last month with the weather and hive stores, but all mine with the exception of one expanding colony (the only one where I have moved stores frames across from another hive) have fared OK regarding stores. Certainly not so many drones around but I haven't noted the numbers lately.

It could mean we have some much better weather ahead; it could mean that is a particularly swarmy strain you have there; it could mean there may be some supercedure about to go on - nothing unusual about that; it might just be the type of bee that retains drones longer; they may even be short on space. Who knows? You will if you continue to monitor carefully!

Regards, RAB

I've also noticed quite a few drones about and was thinking along the same lines as susbees.

I'm in the middle of Apiguard treatment at the mo, so I took the liberty of culling the drone brood. Of about 30 drone larvae excavated more than 20 had varroa at least 2 on each.

As an aside the Queen seems to be laying really well considering/despite the Apiguard!

Lots of eggs, larvae at different stages and capped brood. A good strong colony with three frames (1, 14 X 12 and 2. BS) full of capped honey.
Interestingly there is less capped honey than 2 weeks ago showing the effect of the recent bad weather.

Tony

I two have noticed that all my hives have been producing drones again. Only a few weeks ago were they throwing them out and no drone brood in the hives.

Back