Drones

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wildflower 123

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi there, Just done my second inspection, found the queen and marked her. Yaay. Not knowing her age as this was from a swarm I marked her white and made a note on the record that she is marked white, age unknown. Released her back onto the frame and she flew away!!! Panic stations. Managed to fetch her back and made sure she went down into the frames this time.
The thing I noticed most on this inspection was the lack of drones and drone capped brood. Its all workers and worker brood as far as I can see. Is this normal?

Hi there, Just done my second inspection, found the queen and marked her. Yaay. Not knowing her age as this was from a swarm I marked her white and made a note on the record that she is marked white, age unknown. Released her back onto the frame and she flew away!!! Panic stations. Managed to fetch her back and made sure she went down into the frames this time.
The thing I noticed most on this inspection was the lack of drones and drone capped brood. Its all workers and worker brood as far as I can see. Is this normal?
Any idea if a prime swarm or cast swarm? Think I read somewhere that virgin queens can be a bit flighty…. I had one fly off too last year. I lost her but thankfully she came back.

Any idea if a prime swarm or cast swarm? Think I read somewhere that virgin queens can be a bit flighty…. I had one fly off too last year. I lost her but thankfully she came back.
No clue at all which it was. I am inexperienced but I feel she is well settled. Perhaps I was just a bit clumsy with her. It's my first time containing and marking.

I use a Crown of Thorns. Much less risk of such shenanigans. 😁

No clue at all which it was. I am inexperienced but I feel she is well settled. Perhaps I was just a bit clumsy with her. It's my first time containing and marking.
Generally a prime swarm would be quite big with a mated queen which would be bigger (as full of drone sperm). Cast swarm, smaller amount of bees, wouldn’t fill a nuc box, skinny virgin queen.

Generally a prime swarm would be quite big with a mated queen which would be bigger (as full of drone sperm). Cast swarm, smaller amount of bees, wouldn’t fill a nuc box, skinny virgin queen.
Yes the first swarm leaving a colony can have around 70% of the bees with it though not always with a mated queen and not always big
View attachment IMG_1461.mov

The swarm was caught by someone else who kept it for a few weeks to make sure the queen was laying and the temperament was decent, who then passed it on to me.

Latest posts

Back