Drones in Winter

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Worker Dave

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hello all you Beeks i have just joined the forum.
I would like to start off by asking whether anyone else has noticed Drones still flying in their apiary this week. I have one hive where i saw a couple of drones flying back into the hive. I've been Beekeeping for two years now so am still a novice but i was expecting all drones to have been kicked out by the end of autumn, so i would like to know if anybody thinks i have a problem. All advice is welcome.
Many thanks Dave

Hello Worker Dave and welcome to the forum :)

My drones were kicked out a couple of months ago, but I believe there was some talk about drones still present in hives not so long ago. I'm sure some others will come along soon and tell you :)

Frisbee

It's all about averages really. As in on average the drones normally would be out by now but as in all averages there have to be extremes to create the average.

I have seen the odd drone in spring, and I dinna mean from a drone layer...LOL

If drones are still in the hive now I would say there is every chance they may still be there in spring. Sign of a prosperous colony or a sign of slippery drones...LOL

P

Welcome to this forum Dave,when did you last inspect this colony for brood,is it a strong colony.

Hello Hivemaker
Have just looked at my record card. It was last inspected on 26th September and at that time there was eggs, larvae and two frames of sealed brood. I would say as well that yes it was a strong colony this summer
Thanks Dave

If you read the right(?) books you will have noted that there are instances of drones in the hive all winter. I think discussion around early possible supercedure or late but well developed nuc sized colonies - can't remember clearly - but references are made to this behaviour in several places.

Regards, RAB

Sounds like they should be fine,i have a few in some colonys.
They sometimes have more if they have a late virgin from supercedure,which may not be so good,also have noticed that a colony with nosema tend to keep the drones.

Many thanks to those who replied, if nothing else it's food for thought
Thanks Dave

one of my hives still has a few drones, they are very dark bees, BTW

Latest posts

Back