Drone laying Queen replacement

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eatmorebeans

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Just looked through one of my colonies to find a dlq. It was an emergency supercedure due to loss of Q.
Is it too late in the season to replace the Q?

any reccomendations on where to get one?

Thanks

Tony

Tony,

you say 'one of my colonies'

imho it is too late, so I suggest you find and remove the little b++++++ and unite

richard

Tony,

you say 'one of my colonies'

imho it is too late, so I suggest you find and remove the little b++++++ and unite

richard
Thought about that but the colony in in quarantine. It's a feral colony that I got a few weeks back. I guess the queen did not survive.

Just looked through one of my colonies to find a dlq. It was an emergency supercedure due to loss of Q.
Is it too late in the season to replace the Q?

any reccomendations on where to get one?

Thanks

Tony

If there's enough bees then its nowhere near too late to replace the queen.
Try bid four bees

In quarantine for weeks? Why?

Make your life simpler and unite.

PH

Hi eatmorebeans,

It's your call whether you want to try and requeen them or unite - I am not qualified to advise you on that, but I managed to requeen a DLQ colony around the beginning of July using a method recommended to me by Plumberman. Full details are on the thread:

http://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=11810

The colony has been very slow to build up, and if you decide to requeen they might not have time to build up enough before winter (depending on how strong they are to start off with).

Good luck!

A friend of mine has a tiny (how many forum threads start like that?) DLQ, presumably poorly mated- not even the inspector could find her, which makes re-queening rather difficult. Can he treat them like laying workers, ie dump them at a distance and let the workers fly back, or will they stay with the queen?

ok decision made. I'm not prepared to risk time and money trying to save the colony by buying a queen and feeding them up to survive the winter. Much better methinks to concentrate on the two booming colonies I have, get them through the winter and make increase from them next spring.

Tony

Thumbs up. Plenty of drone comb in a hive is a pain in the proverbial.

Personally, I take a tough line with DLQs and alao Laying Workers by shaking them out.

Thumbs up. Plenty of drone comb in a hive is a pain in the proverbial.

Personally, I take a tough line with DLQs and alao Laying Workers by shaking them out.

So does that work for DLQ's, or just laying workers?

Tony

Job done! as you say it can be 'throwing good money away after bad'

richard

Latest posts

Back