Drone comb

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonnyPicklechin

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
20 odd
I had a drone laying queen. Shes been dispatched and the hive united successfully. I have some brood on a shallow (from a brood and a half configuration) which I left above a snelgrove board to nurture whatever workers I could from the box of brood (it was about 70/30 drone to worker) and will check to see when they emerge (they will be directed below to the normal hive using the SG).

This should mean I have a decent amount of drone that I could cull before they all emerge or just leave them. I am not overly bothered either way (unless you tell me I should be) but would like to use the comb if possible.

Any suggestions on action?

Last edited:
Personally I would leave them. What had you thought to gain by culling ?

I hadn't. But thought I would ask (from the back of the rookie class) if there was anything.

I wanted to keep SG board until after drone emergence cos if I replaced with QX and turn this into drawn super I'd get trapped drones.. I dont have a gated waddyamathingy board ie open rather than meshed like SG.

But once I get the comb cleared and I employ said shallow and combs as a super (with now QX) I was worried about the evacuated part worker / drone comb. The drone comb protrudes and sticks out from the flat worker BC like Molly Sugden's cheekbones - Just wondered if I was going to get wonky honey comb?

"The drone comb protrudes and sticks out from the flat worker BC like Molly Sugden's cheekbones - Just wondered if I was going to get wonky honey comb? "

... only when as brood. In a super where beespace is true the bees
will restructure and cap off at the same plane. It does look a tad
weird in abstract but no worries.

Bill

"The drone comb protrudes and sticks out from the flat worker BC like Molly Sugden's cheekbones - Just wondered if I was going to get wonky honey comb? "

... only when as brood. In a super where beespace is true the bees
will restructure and cap off at the same plane. It does look a tad
weird in abstract but no worries.

Bill
Who is Molly Sugden..?

Latest posts

Back