Drizzling Oxalic

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Miriads
:grouphug:

What was the final concensus of BEEKS opinion,to the question of taking off the super placed above the Brood befoer treatment with OA?

OK if we had known earlier the food stores could have been place under the brood... not too easy now on a WBC !
:smilielol5::smilielol5::smilielol5:

My word its snowing... it Never snows here in the Sunkissed Tamar Valley !!!

:party:

Not sure if there was a consensus from a previous thread?

I have previously over wintered with a super on for stores (now on 14x12). I did not remove the super before oxalic application it. The oxalic is a surface bee treatment. That syrup should not get stored, anyway, If you manage your super back into honey storage properly in spring then there will be no evidence of oxalic at all.

The most important thing for me about oxalic application is to do it quickly and with the minimum of fuss, disruption and heat loss.

:grouphug:

What was the final concensus of BEEKS opinion,to the question of taking off the super placed above the Brood befoer treatment with OA?

Consensus was to leave the super on , however many also disagree so I think its one of those "make your own mind up" quandaries.

The Ladies will have glued up all the joints and probably built brace comb between the frames in the supper and brood. I have a couple of colonies on double National brood boxes and will NOT be splitting them. Assuming you have the same number of frames in each box, they should line up so once the crown board is off drizzle all seams of bees and close up quickly. If you cannot see the bees use a torch to locate them.

However, as MA said it's a pay your money and take your choice situation.

Assuming you have the same number of frames in each box, they should line up so once the crown board is off drizzle all seams of bees and close up quickly. .

Thats is my one concern with leaving the super on, I'm pretty sure my super frames wont line up with the brood frames. Though I'm still inclined to not split, its going to be a quick decision I'll make there and then when I've seen where they are

I think that the nearest thing to a concensus was dont split- you could do major damage, whereas if you treat from the top, the worst that's likely to happen is that the treatment is not fully effective, and you can cross that bridge when you come to it.

The easiest option is to over-winter them in just one box... cuts out all the potentially awkward situations with regards to taking the hive apart in winter...

I myself have not had a problem with the mites this year and so will not be doing a mid-winter treatment.

Ben P

Last edited:
Just worried about Chiilin the poor little Ladies if I lift the super off to administer!

Bang on! exactly the main threat, hence the argument for not lifting off the super. 5ml per seem of 3.2% in a 1:1 syrup. Oxalic solution made up in the house and at room temperature. Administer while still at room temperature so you dont introduce a thermal shock. In, out, bish bosh, roof back on, then (the important part) administer warming sloe gin to chilled beak.

I have many years experince. The splitting is not possible because when you put the box on, hundred of bees will be crushed between frames.

Whe you drip oxalic. It will reach the bees. Bees wake up and they rub syrup to each other.

It is sure that dripling works when I give it from up. It is not time much when bees weake up and enlarge the cluster here and there and they start to fly into cold air. What a mesh.

I need no consensus how others do. Boath works, splitting and no splitting. Choose what you like.

I agree with Finman....dripping from above onto cluster doesnt appear to do much harm....giving too much doesn t seem too bad either....
I find its easiest to do when its coldest and the cluster is tight...I would never attempt on a mild day....Most important thing is to wait until there is no brood....if possible ....reckon about the week before Christmas this winter.....4 weeks into the cold snap....
Breaking the seal between Brood boxes and supers and potentially breaking open the cluster.....Not a good idea...

I have some pre-mixed oxalic (trickle 2- oxalic 3.2% with syrup) on order from thornes. I know it's a short shelf-life, but they won't put a figure on it- will it be OK for a week or 2 in the fridge, or should I use it ASAP?

I have some pre-mixed oxalic (trickle 2- oxalic 3.2% with syrup) on order from Th**nes. I know it's a short shelf-life, but they won't put a figure on it- will it be OK for a week or 2 in the fridge, or should I use it ASAP?

From memory this lasts 6 months in the fridge

I would be ordering just as Th*rne advise.

They say quite clearly:

WE SUGGEST YOU ORDER THIS ITEM JUST BEFORE YOU ARE READY TO USE IT. THE USE BY DATE IS VERY SHORT AS THE PRODUCT DOES START TO DETERIORATE A LITTLE WHEN IT IS MIXED.

RAB

I would be ordering just as Th*rne advise.

They say quite clearly:

WE SUGGEST YOU ORDER THIS ITEM JUST BEFORE YOU ARE READY TO USE IT. THE USE BY DATE IS VERY SHORT AS THE PRODUCT DOES START TO DETERIORATE A LITTLE WHEN IT IS MIXED.

RAB

The person on the phone said use it immediately, then went and asked someone else who said a fortnight would be OK. I assume it varies a lot with storage conditions- just wondered if anyone had any relevant experience (or applied chemistry) that would help me interpret the advice.

Skyhook

BB A advisory leaflet No. B13 gives you the answers.

Hi Finman. great advice as usual, congratulations on reaching 3000 posts look forward to the next 3000.:iagree: Ainsie

I think if you freeze the product it will last for a long time. If it is deteriorating i think it shows in the colour as it goes darker
Hope this helps Dave

Skyhook

BB A advisory leaflet No. B13 gives you the answers.

Thanks, I actually hadn't thought of looking there. Unfortunately, still not clear- gives a time of 6 months, but I think that is for the aqueous solution, and that it deteriorates much faster when the sugar is added as it has been in Trickle 2. Also it says to apply when the cluster is broken up, and to smoke- both in direct disagreement with what I've read on here!

Now I'm even more confused! :willy_nilly:

I think if you freeze the product it will last for a long time. If it is deteriorating i think it shows in the colour as it goes darker
Hope this helps Dave

Thanks, that would give me something to watch out for.

Latest posts

Back