Drawn comb

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DianeJones

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Is it possible to buy drawn foundation/comb?
Diane

At some auctions yes. In general no.

Would it be a good idea? No.

Buy foundation and let your bees do the work.

By the way start up a nuc... one hive is not a good number.

PH

Last edited:
I don't think so, no.

Technically, you may be able to get hold of drawn comb from some beekeepers, but in these days of lots of diseases and pesticide residues (some of which can accumulate in the wax comb), I think the advice from wiser heads will probably be "don't go there - it's too risky".

FG

Ah ok, I was just interestd as haven't seen it for sale anywhere. I'll wait to see if mine drawn it out

Only had this colony since last Friday but plan is to start a Nuc asap.

Umm......... bit bold. How strong is your colony?

PH

Mine are only on 5 frames at the moment - transfered from Nuc on Sunday, so still a long way to go. Queen is doing a good job, but a bit worried that workers are not drawing out foundation quickly enough (hence the question about comb). I am feeding them sugar syrup.

Mine are only on 5 frames at the moment - transfered from Nuc on Sunday, so still a long way to go. Queen is doing a good job, but a bit worried that workers are not drawing out foundation quickly enough (hence the question about comb). I am feeding them sugar syrup.

If bees cannot occupye more brood, they do not waste energy to making new combs.

You help the nuc if you restrict the room only to 5-6 frames. Keep tha room warm. No mesh bottom. A small entrance and insulations.

When the hive has whole box of bees, it start to expand normally.
5-frame colony has grate difficulties.

This spring I had those 5-frame hiveas again and in and couple of weeks ago, started to join them to get one box full. Now those hives are totally full of brood. But it depends if the queen is OK.

Bees draw combs only if they need them

Exactly Finman,

Bees are not machines and Nucs are BABIES and need coddling and supporting.

PH

Thanks for your help - I do have an open mesh floor so will put my varoa insert in to help stop any draughts. I have a reduced entrance.

Thanks for your help - I do have an open mesh floor so will put my varoa insert in to help stop any draughts. I have a reduced entrance.

That is a good job. But put an extra wall too in the hive. It a big help.

It takes time before the box is full of bees if they have now 5 frames.
When the conoly expand, they surely draw new combs.
Dot feed the colony because syrup only fills the valuable combs.

If you get a small swarm somewhere you may join it to the hive.
But first. let the swarm draw the combs. It takes one week and then join.

tiny.jpg

Thanks Finman
Can you tell me what 'dot feed' is? Thanks Diane

Latest posts

Back