Drawing super foundation

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
I know that it is usual for bees to draw foundation early in the season but there is a good heather flow currently and I need super foundation drawn for next year. Is it feasible to try at this time of year? Tips appreciated.
alan

Hi Alan,
Beeks taking colonies to the heather often will let them draw fresh unwired comb as a lot is sold as comb honey. If they draw it and fill it you will have to leave it on for winter food as extraction is not very efficient unless you press it which destroys the comb. As Finman says it is too valuable a crop for the bees to winter on, but that presupposes that you have an outlet as it is an acquired taste. A bit late in the year to go to the Heather? I would ask if they are still bringing it in before going through the move.

I would ask if they are still bringing it in

there is a good heather flow currently

If they draw it and fill it you will have to leave it on for winter food as extraction is not very efficient unless you press it which destroys the comb.

Heather honey does not have to be left on as winter food... or the combs crushed to obtain the honey. If you wish to keep the combs, it can be efficiently extracted using the right equipment, cheap equipment for small scale (just a few supers) or more expensive equipment for large scale use if it is one of the main products produced.

Heather honey does not have to be left on as winter food... or the combs crushed to obtain the honey. If you wish to keep the combs, it can be efficiently extracted using the right equipment, cheap equipment for small scale (just a few supers) or more expensive equipment for large scale use if it is one of the main products produced.

Perforextractor followed by tangential apparently is not very efficient. What would you suggest or do you disagree?

Hi Alan,
Beeks taking colonies to the heather often will let them draw fresh unwired comb as a lot is sold as comb honey. If they draw it and fill it you will have to leave it on for winter food as extraction is not very efficient unless you press it which destroys the comb. As Finman says it is too valuable a crop for the bees to winter on, but that presupposes that you have an outlet as it is an acquired taste. A bit late in the year to go to the Heather? I would ask if they are still bringing it in before going through the move.

Ah - yes. There is a good heather flowering and mild calm weather - perfect for heather honey (although this is from my reading on the subject). This means (as you point out) that the bees will draw AND fill combs with honey - and that it will sell well. My hives are already on site. My "drawing" query was something I thought would give an extra bonus. Too bad I had not taken into account the heather honey harvesting constraint.
Thanks for your responses.
Alan.

What cheap equipment for small scale Hivemaker, and how much is cheap and where can we get it.

Me and my friends will be interested in that.

Last edited:
Back